VMware Communities
Kmarie
Contributor
Contributor

Where does my ip address come from in virtual machine?

Where does the IP address inside my virtual machine come from?

I use Oracle and Oracle listener inside my virtual machine, and it stores my IP address inside one its files. If the number in that file doesn't match my actual ip address, the listener won't run, and thus I have a problem. Lately, to resolve this issue, I have to do a ipconfig /release and /renew, take that new ip address and put it in the file, and finally restart the listener. This is a hassle, how can I have the same IP address at all times on my virtual machine? This didn't use to be a problem, it's only been in the last month or two.

So, is this controlled in Virtual Network Editor or something? I'm using a NAT connection (just like I used to be when this ip address thing wasn't a problem).

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Where does the IP address inside my virtual machine come from?

The same way as a physical machine, from a DHCP server or an assigned static IP in the guest OS.

When using NAT networking, the VMware DHCP service is running and provides an IP for the guest OS when it is configured for DHCP.

You can assign a range of IP's to use for the VMware DHCP server in the network editor.

Sounds like you should assign a static IP in the guest OS

0 Kudos
Kmarie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, but I'll need a little more instruction. Can you break it down for me?

Here's the DHCP tab in Network Editor. When I click properties and try to give the start and end ip address the same thing... it says the end one must be greater than the beginning one.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You do not need to use the VMWare provided DHCP IP address for VMnet1 or VMnet8. YOu give th eguest a fixed IP from the address range used. Then you will always have the same IP.

By the way, if you have only one guest running you will get the same IP from the VMware DHCP server, as well.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
ConstantinV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If your VM uses bridged connection - it gets IP from DHCP server on a network, if NAT - from VmWare. In first case - connect MAC address of your NIC to IP, in second - or use in VM static IP, write in Workstation a static IP.

StarWind Software Developer

VCP 4/5, VCAP-DCD 5, VCAP-DCA 5, VCAP-CIA 5, vExpert 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
0 Kudos
Kmarie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you guys, for your reponses. But I need step by step how to give my VM a static ip address.

For example:

1. Edit -> VIrtual Network Editor

2. DHCP tab

3. etc

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thank you guys, for your reponses. But I need step by step how to give my VM a static ip address.

The exact same way you give a physical PC a static IP address. VMware, in and of itself, has nothing to do with the IP address of the guest... you define within the guest OS whether you want a static IP address (and fill in the appropriate fields to do so), or a dynamic address (in which the guest OS will ask for one, and receive it from the VMware DHCP service running on the VMnet1 or VMnet8 switches, or from your external LAN if you've specified bridged mode).

0 Kudos
Kmarie
Contributor
Contributor

So you specify a static ip like this:

1. Network Connections

2. Right click Local Area Connection -> Properties

3. Select TCP/IP -> Properties

4. Specifiy your ip address

So if I shut down VM A and open up VM B... VM B has a different ip address than VM A did when it was still on?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Exactly.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos