VMware Communities
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When starting guest OS I get this message: "..../dev/rtc cannot be opened (No such file or directory....."

I have Suse 11 as my host and FreeBSD 7 as my guest. FreeBSD is running very slow! The error I receive when opening the Guest is attached....

Never had this issue with Suse 10.3 and below. Any ideas?

VMWare Workstation 6.0.5 build-109488

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I beleive that there may be a menuconfig utility that can be used to make kernel config changes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The error message tells you how to resolve the issue.

Did you read the info in the listed URL?

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I went to the URL. It is the rebuilding of the kernel I am not sure about. I will have to do some research building a custom kernel on Suse 11.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I beleive that there may be a menuconfig utility that can be used to make kernel config changes

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! This worked! :~)

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You do not need to rebuild or reconfigure the kernel to resolve this issue. A recommended fix (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/source/udev/bug/252924) is simply to add:

KERNEL=="rtc*", SYMLINK+="rtc"

to /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules to cause the necessary /dev/rtc symlink to be created at boot time.

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules does not exist in openSUSE 11, or, at least, not mine.

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules does not exist in openSUSE 11, or, at least, not mine.

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I thought it worked. Installed the next BSD vm and the same error popped up. Since openSuse 11 is the host and I used "menuconfig" to make the appropiate changes wouldn't this be a fix across the board for all, new vm's?

0 Kudos