VMware Communities
CarlWebster
Contributor
Contributor

When creating new VM, Full Name is not kept

Using VMware Workstation 6.5.1- 126130 running on WIndows XP Pro x64 SP2 with 32GB RAM

Created a new VM for Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x86.

Entered a Full name of "CitrixONE" (Step08a.GIF) in the Create VM Wizard.

After the OS is loaded and the VM restarted, the Full name (aka Computer name in Windows) was changed to "citrixon-58b013" (Step00c.GIF).

Why was the Full name I entered not kept and why wasn't the case kept?

If I entered "CitrixONE" as the Full name, shouldn't the Computer Name in Windows also have been "CitrixONE" and not "citrixon-58b013"?

Thanks

Webster

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you use Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x86 with a non-emglish language ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
CarlWebster
Contributor
Contributor

No, this is the regular USA English version.

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Those are two completely different settings. Full Name means your name, as you want it to appear in your account info. The Windows installer assigns a name to the computer automatically, and appends some alphanumeric characters for uniqueness.

0 Kudos
CarlWebster
Contributor
Contributor

That is not what the help text says:

<quote>

Full name is used for registering the operating system.

</quote>

The name entered here does not get a user account created.

The password entered here is the password for the Administrator account (according to the help text).

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Full name is used for registering the operating system.

Can you include a screen shot of "System Properties" window? ( Right-click on My Computer -> Properties ). That should show who the installation is "Registered" to.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think you may be interpreting the help text incorrectly. Full name is used for registering the installation with Microsoft (it corresponds with an installation screen that asks for both Serial number and Full name because I think they're related), but it's not guaranteed to be used as the machine name. In fact, it would be bad if we did use Full name as the machine name. If you entered "Carl Webster" as your full name each time, justifiably thinking that it was really asking for your full name, you would have a bunch of machines with the same hostname which would be bad. We of course could always add another field the UI for the hostname, but the thinking was that most people didn't care and those who did would just go into the guest and customize it.

0 Kudos