VMware Communities
MauriceMoss_NZ
Contributor
Contributor

When copying a VM to a new location, when running the VM it loads using files from the original location.

Hello everyone, I've searched around online but could not find an answer to this strange problem so thought I would post up and ask.

I'm running VMware Workstation 12 Pro (12.5.1 build-4542065) as part of a home lab to study and implement various infrastructures / tests for exams I am working towards.

My setup is as follows:

E:\LabWork\Sources and golden VMs\VMs

Holds a selection of virtual machines that I have created, installed the VMWare tools to, ran various updates etc and are in a state where they can be used.

In my scenario, say I had a windows 10 golden VM and a Server 2012 R2 VM.

I decide I want to build an environment with a DC and two end user machines, so I go to my source/golden location and right click on the folder containing server 2012 R2.

I then go to F:\LabWork\Lab1\Servers and paste the affected virtual machines and all of it's files in.

Once completed I go back to workstation, tell it to load the VM from F:\LabWork\Lab1\Servers, it asks me if I moved or copied it and I say copied.

The VM then boots and all seems well.

However when I start working with the VM I notice that the files within E:\LabWork\Sources and golden VMs\VMs are locked for editing and the time stamps are updating, I also see that the newly copied files in F:\LabWork\Lab1\Servers don't appear to have been touched.

So even though I copied the entire directory to the new location, and told VMWare to open the file from the new location...there appears to be something still linking it to the original location and opening it from there?

The main reason I noticed is originally I had my golden images on a slow mechanical drive, and my in-use images on an SSD and I wondered why the new machine was going so slow...and that's how I began to trace it back.

I have found a work around of loading the golden image in VMWare and choosing manage, clone and then specifying the SSD but I believe this can only be done a limited number of times from the golden image?

Can anyone weigh in here on the behavior I am seeing and what would be the best method to do what I am trying to do.

Essentially have a library of golden images that I can copy and run multiple copies of for testing/learning purposes as/when needed?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Attach the .vmx of the problem VM to a reply down here.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos