VMware Communities
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When can we hope for an SVGA driver to support Windows 8?

Using Windows 8 is a somewhat sluggish experience using the default Windows driver in a VM, even on an 8 core 3.16 GHz workstation with a decent video card...

Can we hope for an SVGA driver release in a VMware Tools package for Windows 8 before the release of Windows 8?  It would sure help with development.

Thanks.

-Noel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I finally got the SVGA driver installed in a Windows 7 x64 VM running Windows 8 DP, though it went to a black screen during the install and I had to force a reboot.

The SVGA driver makes the operation of Windows 8 DP very smooth and fluid, opposed to sluggish with the Microsoft default driver.

-Noel

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I spoke too soon.  The SVGA driver is not functional for me.  It fails with commands such as the one shown here, and at one point even crashed my host W7 operating system - something that NEVER happens.

I've had to revert back to the sluggish Windows 8 default driver.

Any updates you may have in the near future to improve this situation would be very helpful.  Thanks!

VW8UE.jpg

-Noel

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
Contributor
Contributor

Drop your VM ram to 2048. Worked for me. I previously had it set to 4096. I am now using the SVGA driver and all the other drivers of the VM tools.

NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excellent suggestion.  Thank you!

I installed the SVGA driver and it jumped to 1024 x 768, and after the install it started flashing a line at the top of the screen as though the hidden Taskbar was trying to come out but was aborting in doing so.  I thought this was a bad sign, as t had done this before as well.  However, Ctrl-Alt-Del and Log off worked, so I restarted the system from the logon screen, and this time it restarted okay.  That's the difference between what I'm seeing now and before.

I switched it to my preferred 1440 x 900 resolution, and it still seems to work (and restarts okay) I'll use it this way to see how it goes.

Thanks again for the tip!

-Noel

0 Kudos