VMware Communities
DEVIOUZ
Contributor
Contributor

Whats The Best Way To Convert An IDE WinXP HDD To A VM..?

I got a 160GB IDE HDD in my old laptop that has WinXP installed on it, and I would like to convert the whole HDD into a VM to use on another computer with VMW-WS.

Whats the best course of action to accomplish this sorta thing..?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If the Laptop is still running I'd use VMware vCenter Converter.  For XP I'd probably use 3.0.3.

0 Kudos
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi deviouz

If you've got an installed OS and you want to turn this into a  virtual machine disk file, there may be any number of fatal driver  issues that could come up as a result of that.

It's part of what the P2V assistant offers as part of VMware's product line.

As  far as making images directly from a hard drive partition, we already  have the ability to run some dual-boot scenarios as RAW disks, which is  about as good as it gets with our current releases.

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Abbie - just for your information: P2V assistant is no longer available since 5 years or more

0 Kudos
DEVIOUZ
Contributor
Contributor

So VMware vCenter Converter would be best then..?

Why use 3.0.3. and not the latest version 5.0..?

How exactly does VMware vCenter Converter work to convert a Physical HDD into a Virtual HDD..?

What about making an Acronis True Image of the complete HDD and restoring it to a blank VM-HDD, does that method work any better or worse than the way VMware vCenter Converter does..?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter 3.0.3 usually successfully imports XP
Converter 5 usually misconfigures the task - unless you manually set the Controller to Buslogic

You can of course also use True Image as descibed but that involves several extra steps

0 Kudos
DEVIOUZ
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware vCenter Converter make a complete 1:1 copy of your HDD when it converts it..?

Or what all does it change / reconfigure exactly to make it work in VM-Ware..?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

DEVIOUZ wrote:

Does VMware vCenter Converter make a complete 1:1 copy of your HDD when it converts it..?

Or what all does it change / reconfigure exactly to make it work in VM-Ware..?

Technically no because IIRC it does not copy the pagefile and the hibernation file, although I maybe thinking of Ghost, however those files are not necessary to be copied as they are recreated when the Virtual Machine boots.  Also changes are made to the filesystem, drivers added and Windows Registries entries injected, to accommodate the virtual hard disk controller and the keyboard.

While I did say technically no, nonetheless a proper image is made and adjusted for its intended target and this is of course what one wants to have happen.  Installed programs are intact along with any User Data.  After installing VMware Tools you may what to have a look at the following a resolve and issues for nonexistent physical hardware left over from the P2V operation.

Have a look at: Removing hidden or ghosted devices from a Windows virtual machine

0 Kudos