VMware Communities
Coltrane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What's the best method to transfer a VM from one PC to another?

I'm a novice in the VMWare workstation world. I've created my first VM for SharePoint 2010 development, and my boss wants me to give him a copy of my SP 2010 VM. He told me to just give him the .VMX file, but I believe there must be a better method to transfer a VM from one PC to another.

Thanks in advance.

Coltrane.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Coltrane,

to transfer a VM from one PC to another, shut down the VM and copy the complete folder with all the files (vmx, vmdk, ...) over to the other PC.

One thin to keep in mind (besides the Windows licensing) If the VM is a attached to your network you need to modify the copied disk - as you would do it with a cloned physical system - to have a unique hostname, MAC address and IP address.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Coltrane,

to transfer a VM from one PC to another, shut down the VM and copy the complete folder with all the files (vmx, vmdk, ...) over to the other PC.

One thin to keep in mind (besides the Windows licensing) If the VM is a attached to your network you need to modify the copied disk - as you would do it with a cloned physical system - to have a unique hostname, MAC address and IP address.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the vmx-file only lists the virtual hardware that is used in that VM - alone it is completely useless

the virtual disks are the vmdk-files - so at the very least you need the vmx-file plus all the vmdk-files

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos