VMware Communities
schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

What laptop do you recommend to run VMware ESX Server 3.5 on VMWare Workstation 6.5 as a VM?

The subject says it all. I want to run VMWare ESX Server 3.5 as a virtual machine within VMware Workstation 6.5. If you are currently doing that on a laptop, I'd like to know what the model and specs are. I only want to buy once and have it work. Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

HP compaq nx9420 works nice

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying. I am concerned about this stipulation in White Paper XD10004 from Xtravirt which states:

Note: the minimum CPU requirement is a multi-core processor with either Intel-VT or AMD-V extensions. Quote from jmattson (VMWARE), "Intel-VT-x is supported on all VT-capable EM64T processors. In particular, it is not supported on 32-bit Core processors. AMD-V is supported on all AMD64 Family 10H or greater processors. It is not supported on Family 0FH processors. To run ESX in a Workstation 6.5 VM, you need a supported VT-x or AMD-V processor."

I see the HP Compaq nx9420 is considered robust. Do you have to enable CPU virtualization extensions in the BIOS to run ESX 3.5 Update 3 on VMWare Workstation 6.5 Build 1.18166 on your laptop? Or, is there another way you found to successfully run ESX 3.5 virtually on your laptop using Workstation 6.5?

I appreciate any further clarification.

Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sure - you need to enable VT-support in BIOS - the HP has an option to do this

VMware-liveCD:

schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again. The nx9420 is discontinued. Best price new looks to be about $1226. Core 2 Duo T7200 64-bit processor seems to fit the bill. Go for it? I can pick up 4GB of ram for $55 and it comes with XP. You're positive this will run ESX Server 3.5 as a VM? I'm off to slumberland now. I have a feeling that's where you're at (being in Germany and all). Hope to hear back from you and I appreciate your help.

Dan

0 Kudos
schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

Well, you've been around a long time on this forum and I can't argue with your suggestion. Since the laptop I'm looking at has a T7200 processor and anything above a T5500 CPU is VT-enabled, and all the reviews were positive about the power of this, and because the price for a new laptop is less than $1300 U.S. shipped with 4GB of RAM, I'm going to get it. I appreciate your suggestion. No one had an answer but you. Also, reviewers say how tech-savvy this laptop is. That sounds good to me. If you reply I'll give you points for answering my question. Any other tidbits you can think of will be appreciated. Regards, Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

there is not much going on here over the weekend so you didn't get many answers.

Looks like nowadays even notebooks with 8 Gb RAM are available ....

Also I would make sure that you have at least one eSATA connector ...

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

The eSATA connector, what will I need it for? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lofty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got a Dell Latitude D630 with 4GB RAM and she's working fine.

Just make sure that you've got EM64T AND VT support on the Intel Chipsets. (I had to search my BIOS to turn on VT support - wasn't by default)

ESATA - well, once you start playing with VM's, its easy to consume disk space. ESATA would give you the benefit of an external drive with faster throughput than USB.

I've got a few external USB drives that I use for demos - work well and it would be interesting to hear how others find ESATA for doing the same thing.

Thanks

Lofty

PS. If you found my response helpful, think about awarding some points.

Thanks Lofty PS. If you found my response helpful, think about awarding some points.
0 Kudos
schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Lofty. I just ordered the HP Business Notebook nx9420 and also purchased 4GB RAM off eBay. I don't believe this laptop comes with an eSATA connector. I'd award points but they've already been awarded. Looks like you got some points shared for correct answer. Regards, Dan

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

An external Firewire drive is a perfectly acceptable alternative to eSATA one... still much faster than a USB one. I've had all of my VMs on an external Firewire drive for 5 years now and have no complaints about speed of accessing them.

0 Kudos
schmonko
Contributor
Contributor

RD. That sounds like the route I'll be taking once the laptop I ordered comes in: external firewire drive for all my VMs.

Have you demo'd ESX 3.5 on your laptop or are you running ESX 3i? 3i is cheaper and is only missing the console basically?

Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Both work almost with same performance on a notebook.

You can test ESX with the trial license

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos