VMware Communities
aemihilmy
Contributor
Contributor

What is the required specifications ??

Hi ,

I am using vmware workstation 7. The specifications of my labtop are :

1-Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @  2.00GHz .

2-Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB .

3-Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset  Family .

4-Manufacturer: Dell Inc., Model Inspiron 1525 .   

5-Operating System ( Host 😞   Windows 7  32-bit .

I want to install 3 VMs as guest Operating System   ( Windows XP 32-bit ) .

Is that possible ??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from Community Website Help to VMware Workstation.

It will be possible.  It might not be fast, but it will be possible.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
aemihilmy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ... but is there any idea to make it better performance ??

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

That all depends on the workload of those 3 XP machines, but the best advice I can give is to get as much memory as you can and use a 64-bit host OS.  Memory tends to be the first thing you run out of.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I run a notebook with similar specs - for 3 XP VMs it should be ok

try to store the VMs on as many different disks as possible

first bottleneck is RAM - second one is disk I/O

0 Kudos
aemihilmy
Contributor
Contributor

@continuum :

Thanks ... do u mean it is better that if i store each VM in different partitions like C or D or E  ???

if i assign RAM 256 MB for each VM , is that enough ?? or make it 512 MB foe best performance ??

are there any advance settings in VM program that help me to get faster running of VMs ??

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

different partitions on the same disk will get no performance advantage at all - on the contrary
get several physical disks instead - or consider using external devices connected via eSATA

aemihilmy
Contributor
Contributor

okay ... i got your point ... what about the memory for each VM ?? i doing CCNP Voice practice ...and which edition of XP that is not required too much memory ?

0 Kudos