VMware Communities
russellr
Contributor
Contributor

What is "Copying file from virtual machine"?

Hi,

I used to get this popup from vmware. It would show a file name and a progress bar and take a very long time to copy a small file.

VMware would do this a couple of times every minute, and I had no idea what it was doing.

What on earth is vmware doing when it says this? Why is it copying a file from the guest and where is it copying it to? And why does it take so long?

I no longer get this popup, but I now have this strange disk activity as described here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/106818?tstart=0

I suspect that this strange disk activity is this "Copying file from virtual machine" message, but without the message being displayed.

So, if someone can tell me what this strange popup is all about, I might solve these two problems!

thanks,

RR

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please make a screenshot - never heard that message before

0 Kudos
russellr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm not getting the popup any more so I can't take a screenshot.

I'm just surmising that it's still happening but without the popup.

regards,

RR

0 Kudos
russellr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It's back!

The popup is now happening again but the copy is very quick.

I've attached a screen shot.

Could it be something to do with networked drives?

regards,

RR

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Looks more like the drag/drop message you get under windows when copying files from host to guest or guest to host. Got a scheduled task that does a vmrun CopyFileFromGuestToHoest in it?

0 Kudos
russellr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I don't have any scheduled tasks that use VMWare tools.

I agree it sounds like something related to drag and drop, but it happens all by itself.

Could it be related to networked drives or shared folders?

If so, why would any copying happen automatically?

thanks,

RR

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can only think of a scheduled task, network drives dont do it, or I would have seen it Im sure. Shared drives might but I do a lot of that too.. Maybe you have some scheduled tasks not in scheduled tasks but some app written in the systray?

0 Kudos