VMware Communities
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What happened to vmsync?

I'm upgrading all my Linux hosts to new VMware Tools version. Before the upgrade, I had previous VMware Tools version installed and it had the vmsync module compiled. It used to offer me the option to compile the module and it called it experimental. Now, during the upgrade, it don't offer it anymore. Do the vmsync projoect is on hold? Or is it an upgrade problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jtmoree
Contributor
Contributor

this is exactly my question too.  I see it is from 2010.  sad that no one has answered this on the vmware community forums.  Havent' found answer on the web either.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Jtmoree

What version of WS are you using?  also Please let me know your vmtools version. Thanks so much

Regards

xisheng

0 Kudos
jtmoree
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed fresh esxi 5.5 and using vmware tools included with it.  what is WS?  the vmsync module seems to exist on centos 5 but not 6.  I have found some source files that get installed but running make does nothing.  will dig into them.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, jtmoree

I remembered what I tried when my first seeing your post with latest workstation version 10.0.1, I can not find the vmsync service need to be installed as well, so do not worry about this module service, should no impact for workstation functionality. any new problems, Please let us know.

also WS means workstaionSmiley Happy

0 Kudos