VMware Communities
Galgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

What does the VMWare utility Defrag actually Defrag?

I've read various blogs, etc which suggest that a defrag utility in the guest be run, followed by the VMWare defrag utility, and finally a host disk defrag utility. However they don't explain their reasoning or even explain what the VMWare defrag utility actually does, and I haven't found an explanation elsewhere.

Does it defrag the guest files within the virtual disk? Which is what the guest defrag is supposed to do.

Does it defrag the virtual disk files on the host? Which is what the host defrag is supposed to do.

Or does it do something altogether different?, in which case what is it?

Some other blogs have pointed out that defragging may not be appropriate depending upon the VM config and how the host is storing the virtual disk files (raid, NAS, etc). In my case the host has the virtual disk files stored on a plain local disk and I'm not using snapshots or linked clones. I'm also using VM Workstation 12.5.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

While I can try to explain, this post from James Lin -who is a vmware employee- explains it best:

There are three types of defragmentation

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos