VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What OS's guests t will VMware Support for EFI boot?

Is there a list  of OS guest support for EFI firmware?  Mianly supported by VMware - not try, fail, call support etc etc.   From my experiences on the TP forums I guess it doesn't exist.  Some OS (like Windows Server) come up with a screen to chose firmware BIOS/EFI.  If not then you need to go to Setting > Hard Drive OPtions -> Advanced _> Boot using EFI.  In particular is there Linux versions that give you  you option of BIOS/EFI firmware before the VM confutation is complete so the hard drive than then be customised.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We will officially support EFI firmware for any guest OS for which all of the following are true:

• We list that guest OS as supported in the VMware Compatibility Guide for Guest OSes and for your virtualization product.
  • The guest OS includes EFI support in the OS installation medium.
  • The guest OS's EFI support does not have catastrophic defects (e.g. Fedora 12 x64, FreeBSD 11, Centos 6.0 through 6.2 all have catastrophic defects).

Workstation 11's New Virtual Machine Wizard only presents the option of EFI firmware for Windows guests.  Of particular note, we do not yet support Easy Install for EFI non-Windows guests in Workstation 11.  For all other EFI-aware guest OSes, you can do a manual installation after choosing EFI firmware in the VM Settings > Options > Advanced > Boot with EFI instead of BIOS.

I don't understand your concern about hard drive customization... Could you clarify?

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've not seen any officially published list and I'd say Darius covered this subject as throughly as it's going to be for the time being in his replies to your query, "Windows Server 2012 Essentials Does not install with/EFI/SATA"! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We will officially support EFI firmware for any guest OS for which all of the following are true:

• We list that guest OS as supported in the VMware Compatibility Guide for Guest OSes and for your virtualization product.
  • The guest OS includes EFI support in the OS installation medium.
  • The guest OS's EFI support does not have catastrophic defects (e.g. Fedora 12 x64, FreeBSD 11, Centos 6.0 through 6.2 all have catastrophic defects).

Workstation 11's New Virtual Machine Wizard only presents the option of EFI firmware for Windows guests.  Of particular note, we do not yet support Easy Install for EFI non-Windows guests in Workstation 11.  For all other EFI-aware guest OSes, you can do a manual installation after choosing EFI firmware in the VM Settings > Options > Advanced > Boot with EFI instead of BIOS.

I don't understand your concern about hard drive customization... Could you clarify?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you.  Since only Windows presents the BIOS?EFI choice for Linux its basically hit or miss.  Gues I can live with. that

Happy new year to all!

0 Kudos