VMware Communities
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Western Digital passport ultra USB 3.0 won't connect

Can't seem to get this drive to connect to my windows 7 MV. The following screen appears every time. How can I resolve this? Seems to be a driver issue.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just updated the text above to include on how-to change it.. you're too fast in replying Smiley Happy

If your VM is shut down the hardware compatiblity level is noted in the bottom right.

Eg. on my test VM it says "Hardware Compatiblity: Workstation 12.0 Virtual Machine"

VMware Tools is something else, so no not talking about VMware Tools.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

You are not mentioning your VMware Workstation version.

Your host OS is windows 10?

Workstation versions before version 12 do not support USB3 with Windows 7, the reason being that Microsoft does not supply a USB3 driver for Windows 7.

Workstation 12 has made changes for USB3 support and Windows 7 along with a driver you would have to download from intel.

Last thing I read was that they were still waiting on intel to release that driver, not sure if that has changed.

You might get it to work now with a USB2 hub between your host and external USB disk.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wil,

You're are correct,

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I am using Workstation 12.0.0 build-2985596. Any idea if that update has been released?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It seems the drivers are indeed available.

I have not tested them myself.

Have a look at the following KB article for the details:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2128105

--

Wil

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I went to run the setup after extracting the ZIP I got "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". Also for that VM I notice under settings that USB 3.0 is not an option under USB compatibility. Only 1.1 and 2.0

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Is the virtual hardware for your VM upgraded to virtual hardware version 12?

You would need to be at that version for the USB3 option to become available.

I just tested that here with a new VM and if it is vHW12 then there is indeed a USB3 option from within Workstation 12.0

You can adjust the hardware compatibility when the VM is shut down by right click the VM in the library and select "Manage" -> "Change Hardware Compatibility"

Also note that the readme on the intel site mentions that you need to have at least 1GB of RAM assigned to the virtual machine to run the setup.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How can I check the hardware version? If you're talking about vmware tools, I upgraded that after updating to workstation 12.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just updated the text above to include on how-to change it.. you're too fast in replying Smiley Happy

If your VM is shut down the hardware compatiblity level is noted in the bottom right.

Eg. on my test VM it says "Hardware Compatiblity: Workstation 12.0 Virtual Machine"

VMware Tools is something else, so no not talking about VMware Tools.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yea I forgot about upgrading the hardware level. After I did that and changed the USB setting to 3.0 it allowed me to install the Intel USB 3.0 drive and now its working. Thanks for the help!!!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're welcome and thank you for letting us know that it now works.

--

Wil

0 Kudos