VMware Communities
jlemieux
Contributor
Contributor

Weird graphic behavior

I am running a Windows 7 64 bit Guest VM on a Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit host where VMWare Workstation 7.0.1 build-227600 is installed.

If I wake up the Host operating system after a suspend to ram (S3), the Windows 7 VM screen looks like this: screen capture.

If I resize the Windows 7 VM screen, the erratic graphics might sometimes disappear, but thenthey can come back when I create new windows, etc.

This behavior happens only when I enable the "Enabled 3D acceleration" for the VM. This option is required in order to "benefit" from Aero.

Once in a while, I can see a message at the bottom of the Windows 7 Guest screen -- "Le pilote d'affichage ne répondait plus et a été récupéré / Le pilote d'affichage SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation WDDM) ne répondait plus", meaning in English: the display driver did not respond and has been recovered by Windows.

This behavior can be reproduced when running the Host under Ubuntu Jaunty (recommended by VMWare), Ubuntu Karmic, Ubuntu Lucid,Mint Linux, OpenSuse 11.2 (also recommended by VMWare). Yes, I tried them all Smiley Wink

My configuration is: ASUS P7P55-M motherboard, i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, MSI NVidia N210-MD512H video card.

Please let me know if you know the possible cause of this strange behavior.

Thanks!

JL

Montréal

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Have you installed the VMWare Tools inside the guest?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
jlemieux
Contributor
Contributor

Well, although your reply was quite "obvious", it made me thing that I had tried the new 7.1.0 beta version of VMWare Workstation on the Host, but... without also updating the client tools with the new 7.1.0 beta version.

So I went ahead and reinstalled the beta 7.1.0 client tools on my Win 7 64 virtual machine.

So far, the behavior that I described seems to have disappeared, so the new upcoming 7.1.0 version should fix this issue for good.

Now, when I wake the Host from suspend mode (S3), the screen of the VM first appears all garbled, but then it is redrawn correctly within 2 seconds.

Thanks for your helpful hint !!

JL

0 Kudos
brianjcohen
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem: Win7 guest on a 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 host. I do have VMWare tools installed and I am running 7.1.0 build-256557. I posted once about this already but I received no responses.

0 Kudos
brianjcohen
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I noticed in your original post, just now, that the problem only occurs if 3D Acceleration is enabled. I turned it off and it stabilized. Sweet!

0 Kudos
PDMC
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed the 7.1 update to try to get Aero enabled and wddm driver issues are worse that 7.0.1

64 bit Suse 11.2 host

Workstation 7.1

0 Kudos