VMware Communities
jfha73
Contributor
Contributor

Weird Display Behavior

Has anybody encounter this:

When I tried to install the lates version of Fedora (17) or Oracle Enterprise Linux the bottom of the screen doesn't show on Workstation 8 or Player 4, for the pattern, it looks like it affects the latest RedHat based Linux, I will keep trying and post pictures when I have the chance.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jfha73
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a picture of Fedora 17 installation, notice the lack of Forward (Next) Button on the bottom of the screen.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi jfha73, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Interesting... we've certainly seen this problem before with Oracle Linux 6.2 and derivatives (see either this thread on Oracle Linux 6.2 on Workstation or this thread on Oracle Linux 6.2 on Fusion), but I didn't know that it also happened with Fedora 17.  Can you post (as an attachment... use the Browse... button below) the vmware.log from the VM's directory?  See if any of the information in those other two threads helps resolve the problem.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jfha73
Contributor
Contributor

I just did a search for *.log in my vmware folder and found nothing, so I don't have a log.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You haven't mentioned what your host OS is, so I can't give precise directions here... the logs should be in the same directory as the virtual machine's configuration file, disks, etc.  If you are using a Windows host, you might need to configure Explorer to show all file extensions to be able to make sense of the filenames there.  (And I have never trusted Windows to search for anything other than documents/media... and even then it's questionable... so I would manually navigate to the VM's directory and eyeball it.)

Did any of the info in those other two threads help?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jfha73
Contributor
Contributor

Found the log files, here they are.

0 Kudos
jfha73
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that, my hiost OS is Windows 7 x64

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi jfha73,

I have replicated your problem here, and can confirm that restricting the display size to 1024x768 allows the installer to display normally.  Go into VM Settings > Hardware > Display > Specify settings for monitors, and specify one monitor at 1024 x 768 resolution.  Then power on the VM, and you should see the "Next" button.  You should be able to return to Use host settings for monitors once Fedora is installed, and you'll need to do so if you want VMware Tools to be able to do its screen sizing magic.

I'll continue tracking down the problem internally here and see if we can make this work right.  Unfortunately the underlying problem seems to be a Fedora one... /tmp/X.log inside the guest shows that the vmware Xorg driver is not set up correctly in the installer environment.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jfha73
Contributor
Contributor

That worked, thanks Darius .

0 Kudos