VMware Communities
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Weird Disk Size issue

Sorry if this sounds too easy. I looked in the other posts but could not find an answer.

I am using VMWARE Workstation 6.5.0 and have been very happy with it, but I have one issue that i cannot find an answer to.

I have set-up a Windows XP Pro Virtual Machine and have installed a number of software packages, all working fine, but I went to install another product and can't because there is not enough free space on the VM's HD.

- When I check the Win XP Pro properties,in VMWare is shows a 45 GB HD specified

- When I start the VM, and check under Start, My Computer, drive C: shows 21.9 Gb total and 1.29 Gb free.

That doesn't jive with the 45 Gb allocated size and I have no idea how to fix it.

Any ideas?

CT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>>Don't know how to check this with disk manager.

For a GUI within your XP VM, right click on My Computer and select manage. Then select Disk Manager. That should show you partitions and their sizes. Any expanding you have done will show up as free space until you repartition it.

For XP, it is easiest to use a 3rd party partitioning program, I have been using Partition Commander for several years. The newer live CD Linux distro's will do it but I would be careful.

Lou

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
prakashraj
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check the free space in Vmwareworkstation installed Host Machine (c: d: etc...)

If not having enough free space you need to make it

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That's the first thing I looked at. Host drive C: has 92 Gb Free.

CT

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What does disk manager show?

Did you increase the size of the disk with vdiskmanager?

Lou

0 Kudos
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don't know how to check this with disk manager. Using disk manager, I defragmented, -d, checked for consistency, -R, but I can't see any other option that would report size, etc.

Yes, the original size of the virtual disk was 40Gb. But, because of the inconsistent report of the size within the OS, I used disk manager to increase the size to 45 Gb. The operation was successful, but the size of the drive and the free space reported from within the OS did not change.

CT

0 Kudos
ladislav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try diskpart and check for free space on VM disk device. It has to be there. Expanding partition - there are two options: third party tools or do an IMPORT with VMWare WS using custom options (allows to change disk size).

L.

louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>>Don't know how to check this with disk manager.

For a GUI within your XP VM, right click on My Computer and select manage. Then select Disk Manager. That should show you partitions and their sizes. Any expanding you have done will show up as free space until you repartition it.

For XP, it is easiest to use a 3rd party partitioning program, I have been using Partition Commander for several years. The newer live CD Linux distro's will do it but I would be careful.

Lou

0 Kudos
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are right, when I looked at it - using the info you provided, 23 Gb was unallocated. I don't know how that happened, since the VM was set to 40 when it was created, but following your suggestion, I imported it to a new VM, set the limits the way I wanted during the import, and deleted the old one. So, I'm happy again!

Thanks,

CT

0 Kudos