VMware Communities
MagnoAlberto
Contributor
Contributor

Weird Behavior in the Mouse Pointer on VMs in Remote Desktop (RDS) session

Hi...

I have observed a weird behavior of the mouse pointer. Virtual machines with Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 running on VMware Workstation 8 in a Remote Desktop session, the mouse pointer is displayed with the hand icon, and at times the pointer simply disappears, being necessary to ungrab the VM screen and grab the VM again.

I did several tests with VMware Worksation 7 and the problem does not occur.

I found some posts suggesting to change the "mks.noHostCursor = TRUE" but does not seem very interesting because it loses significantly the response time of the pointer.

Is there any fix for it?

Thanks!

7 Replies
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you installed vmware tools already?

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
MagnoAlberto
Contributor
Contributor

hi hbato... of course =]

However, if I uninstall vmware-tools, behavior is normal but I lose the resources offered by vmware tools.

Apparently I found an alternative but have not tested completely. If I turn "Adjust for best appearance" in "Advanced System settings" on the VM, behavior is normal. If confirmed this alternative, solves a problem but causes another problem because a Windows Server needs to be configured to "Ajust for best performance" for obvious reasons.

What's really interesting about this problem is does not happen in VMware WST 7.

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well we really have encountered a lot of bugs in WS8. As what they say "not all the latest are the greatest". Smiley Happy

Regards, Harold
0 Kudos
erblemoof
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a solution, but I figured out it's attributed to whether you have the mouse pointer shadow disabled or not:

Disabled = Hand / wrong pointer

Enabled = Correct pointer

Kjaps
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue with VMWare Workstation 9. Did you find any solution to this?

0 Kudos
djest
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like if you go to Advanced System Settings in the VM and enable the "Show shadows under mouse pointer" option in Visual Effects, that it turns it back to a pointer instead of a hand.

0 Kudos
scuthber
Contributor
Contributor

Seems to be the same in Workstation 9 too.

0 Kudos