VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

WWAN network card support?

As shown in the screenshot, my laptop uses a 4G LTE module with a SIM card to surf the Internet, but the VMnet function of VMware Workstation Pro does not support the selection of this WWAN network card, which makes the virtual machine system unable to connect to the Internet.

20210714130836.jpg
Although it only supports the exclusive use of the WWAN network card in the virtual machine in the form of a USB connection, it will not be able to use the 4G LTE module to connect to the host at the same time.

20210714131203.jpg
I hope the official can add support for the WWAN network card, thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert

You will probably only be able to share the WWAN card between host and guest if you set the guest to use NAT instead of bridged networking.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

No matter I use NAT or bridged network, I cannot share the WWAN card between the host and the guest. This is the problem that VMware Workstation Pro does not support network sharing from the WWAN card.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You could try using the sharing the internet connection of the 4G mobile on the Windows 10 host.

The last time I used the internet connection sharing feature was in 2006, on a laptop with 32-bit Windows XP Professional with a Nokia N70 3G connected via USB. Other laptops could then access the internet connection. I can't remember the other technical details (can't remember if I tried internet access via VM on the laptop) but you could find the Windows 10 equivalent of this feature and try to get that to work.

But these days there are relatively inexpensive hardware solutions: a WiFi router that takes a SIM/nanoSIM card and/or a USB stick with 4G mobile capability.

0 Kudos