VMware Communities
ikt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WS9 on Linux: Copy VM from vsphere

Hi

This is a fresh installed Ubuntu 12 64bit running evaluation WS9 64bit.  I wanted to copy a basic Win7 VM from our VCenter server to test how fast the VM ran under WS in my notebook with only 4Gb total memory.

I shut off the Win7 VM in VCenter server and selected Manage/download to the WS VM folder.  It started to copy immediately, however after a few moments it stopped complaining that some .iso file was not found.  I thought it only needed to copy all the files in that specific VM folder over to my Linux disk?  What did I do wrong...?  I read somewhere that it was possible to copy VMs between VCenter Server and Workstation...

Also, I wonder if I can have WS autostart a specific VM from linux and display in fullscreen without me having to log in to linux after a reboot..

Thanks for comments on this

regards Tor

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fbonez
Expert
Expert

I suggest you to export the VM as an OVF/OVA file. Then import in Workstation.

Maybe the iso error is do to an iso file configured as a cdrom in the vSphere VM.

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
ikt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the tip.  I will envestigate and test tomorrow.

Anybody having suggestions on how to autostart a specific VM in full screen mode after linux has booted (with no user intervention).  I.e. that the user doesn't need to log in to linux for the WS9 VM to autostart...

regards Tor

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

The VM runs in a Linux environment.  So it would seem to me that the first thing   to do would be have the user sign in the host  OS  automatically  (without a password).  I don't know about autostarting a VM in Linux but you may want to   write a script in Linux rc which runns VMware and points to the VM.

Autologon can be enabled in any Linux OS - perhaps you've done this already??

0 Kudos