VMware Communities
Automator59
Contributor
Contributor

WS12.5 Mouse Buttons Quit In Host, Still Work In Guest

Occasionally I have my mouse stop working in the host computer, but still working in the guest.  This has only happened in my Windows 10 host with a Windows 10 guest on dual monitors.  System has 16GB RAM and 1.5TB hard drives.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Most likely that is  because VMware Tools stopped working and the automatic grab/ungrab of the mouse by the virtual machine no longer works.

If it happens again, try holding down the keys Ctrl+Alt together and see if that gets you back the mouse at the host level.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Automator59
Contributor
Contributor

I did the Ctrl-Alt and it didn't make a difference, multiple times.  The mouse still leaves the guest and moves into the host, but the buttons don't work.Once I shutdown the guest the mouse buttons worked again.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, strange.

The only other suggestion I can come up with at the moment is to re-install VMware Tools. With that I do not mean, repair install, but uninstall, reboot guest, install VMware Tools and reboot guest.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos