VMware Communities
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WS10 [Before sale] Ultrawide screen and Windows 8.1

Hello,

I own WS9. I installed the latest version 9.0.3 to install VM Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have an issue with display.

I use 3 full HD Screen linked width NVidia Surround Mode with 2 GTX590 Graphic adapter linked in SLI Mode.

With all previous versions of windows ans open suze, I use a 5760x1080 screen.

With my Windows 2012R2 ans Windows 8.1 it stay black in this resolution.

My quesiton are :

1. If I upgrade My WS 9 to 10, do you think the 5760x1080 resolution will work ?

1. Can I test WS 10 without licence, just to verify it works ?

Thanks for your answers,

Best regards,

Laurent

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

A couple of suggestions:

1) When changing (upgrading) Workstation versions, Uninstall the version (it will ask if you want to keep license and config data, say yes) and then reboot BEFORE installing the new version. Always do this when changing to a different version, either way: older->newer or newer->older. I always follow this and have not had a problem installing/uninstalling (been doing this for many years back to WS 5 & 6)

2) If you think you might want to or need to go back to an older version of Workstation, when using existing VMs, do not upgrade/change the Hardware of the VM. If you upgrade it, it may not work when going back to an older version of Workstation. (This can be fixed, but you then must reinstall the older version of Workstation and downgrade the VM's Hardware - just a pain to do so).

3) When upgrading/changing Workstation versions, it's much safer to make sure all VMs are "shutdown" (and not "suspended") before doing so. Starting up a suspended VM with a different version of Workstation is not a good idea. I've had it work sometimes and not work other  times and I've even had it trash a VM (I didn't have a snapshot to go back to).

4) "I suppose my turned off VM wont be affected by this, right ?" - Correct, any VMs that are not started shouldn't be affected by your test. (At least I have never seen a problem)

FWIW: WS: 10.0..1 has it's share of problems right now especially with using VMTools in guests. Just scan through the forums using keywords like "hgfs" and "vmtools" for specifics. IMO, WS 10 fixes quite a few things, but the current version also breaks a few critical items for me and as has been the case with the last few major releases, WS keeps getting slower throughput on both USB and Network traffic with each new major release and getting faster hardware doesn't seem to help at all. If it weren't for support for Windows 8.1, Linux Unity Desktop and USB3, I would be using WS 7.1.x.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Bill Johnson, fixed typo in WS version

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is a 30 day evaluation license for VMware Workstation you can use to make sure it can do what you need.

Try VMware Workstation, Run Linux and Windows in a Virtual Machine | United States

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Tell me if you agree with this migration strategy.

I turn off all my VM.

I uninstall WS 9

I install WS 10

I create a W8.1 VM.

I test.

If test fails

I uninstall WS10

I reinstall WS9.0.3

I suppose my turned off VM wont be affected by this, right ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Laurent

0 Kudos
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

A couple of suggestions:

1) When changing (upgrading) Workstation versions, Uninstall the version (it will ask if you want to keep license and config data, say yes) and then reboot BEFORE installing the new version. Always do this when changing to a different version, either way: older->newer or newer->older. I always follow this and have not had a problem installing/uninstalling (been doing this for many years back to WS 5 & 6)

2) If you think you might want to or need to go back to an older version of Workstation, when using existing VMs, do not upgrade/change the Hardware of the VM. If you upgrade it, it may not work when going back to an older version of Workstation. (This can be fixed, but you then must reinstall the older version of Workstation and downgrade the VM's Hardware - just a pain to do so).

3) When upgrading/changing Workstation versions, it's much safer to make sure all VMs are "shutdown" (and not "suspended") before doing so. Starting up a suspended VM with a different version of Workstation is not a good idea. I've had it work sometimes and not work other  times and I've even had it trash a VM (I didn't have a snapshot to go back to).

4) "I suppose my turned off VM wont be affected by this, right ?" - Correct, any VMs that are not started shouldn't be affected by your test. (At least I have never seen a problem)

FWIW: WS: 10.0..1 has it's share of problems right now especially with using VMTools in guests. Just scan through the forums using keywords like "hgfs" and "vmtools" for specifics. IMO, WS 10 fixes quite a few things, but the current version also breaks a few critical items for me and as has been the case with the last few major releases, WS keeps getting slower throughput on both USB and Network traffic with each new major release and getting faster hardware doesn't seem to help at all. If it weren't for support for Windows 8.1, Linux Unity Desktop and USB3, I would be using WS 7.1.x.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Bill Johnson, fixed typo in WS version

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I purchased and installed Workstation 10.

I have many Video Drivers Issues.

I created this thread to talk about them : 10.0.1 Video driver multiple issues

Best regards,

Laurent

0 Kudos