VMware Communities
kzr1k9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WS 6.5 Mouse goes belly up and drag down video in the process

For most of the time the mouse works fine and then out of nowhere the mouse decides to stutter and either disappear or moves erratically. The auto grab and ungrab cease to work in the process. I get the same behavior from time to time on some W2K3 server guests.

Also, when switching from guest to guest, the video screen display is choppy when a guest receives focus. I can almost count the number of video blocks being displayed from left to right, top to bottom.

When I lower the Video acceleration a single notch, not much seems to improve until I bring it back to full acceleration. It is almost like if VMware Tools or some VMware drivers forget that it is supposed to run in full acceleration.

- Host: W2K3 SP2 with WS 6.5.0

- 6 Guests: W2K3 SP2 , XP SP1, Vista SP1

- VMware Tools 6.5.0 Build 118166 installed on every guest.

-The mouse property "Enable pointer shadow" is not enabled on any guest.

- Access to the host is via RDP

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

> Access to the host is via RDP

This will cause poor mouse and grahpics issues.

Only RDP directly to the guest OS, do not connect to the host.

0 Kudos
kzr1k9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Controlling VMware guests by accessing a host computer via RDP work just fine for me. I have been doing that for years without problem. The performance have been positive for WS 4.x, WS 5.x and WS 6.0

Although the guests behave normally most of the time, there has been many peskyness with WS 6.5 from the moment I upgraded. Loss of I/O performance and erratic mouse being on the top of my list.

0 Kudos