VMware Communities
bobchap
Contributor
Contributor

WS 6.0 - XP SP2 Host & Guest - SIIG USB 2.0 5-Port PCI - HP ScanJet N6010

I recently upgraded a stable WS 5.3 install on XP SP2 Host to WS 6.0 in order to be able to access an HP ScanJet N6010 from within an XP SP2 guest VM via USB 2.0. Host machine is SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 dual Xeon mobo with 4GB RAM. N6010 is connected directly via SIIG USB 2.0 5-Port PCI adapter (because of incompatibility between N6010 and X6DA8-G2 USB). N6010 works fine when accessed from host, and from within VM. However, if VM is exited and WS 6.0 closed, host system will halt within 12 hours with unhandled kernel mode interrupt exception. No halt will occur if WS 6.0 not started, if WS 6.0 is allowed to remain open, or if VM accessing N6010 is not launched. Problem appears to be related to disconnect of WS 6.0/VM from N6010 USB 2.0 device. I suspect either VMware WS 6.0 USB 2.0 support or HP ScanJet N6010 USB 2.0 driver. At least VMware should look into this as a possible bug in WS 6.0. (I doubt that HP will care.) Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I would also add the SIIG driver to the list of suspects, and maybe some other stuff, as well. Sounds like you're running Linux?? If so, what distribution, version, kernel version, etc.?

0 Kudos
bobchap
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I don't think it's SIIG. I didn't add any software when I installed the card. MS XP SP2 recognized it as "NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller" and assigned Microsoft drivers. (And no, I'm not running Linux. Only OS involved here is Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2, both host and VM guest.)

0 Kudos