VMware Communities
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

WS 14.1.3 Locks up. See my (DickHinSC) 14.1.2 Locks up thread where comments continue

WS 14.1.3 Locks up.  See my (DickHinSC) 14.1.2 Locks up thread where comments on the lockups continue.

CONCLUSION: LOCKUP PROBLEM STILL NOT FIXED.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Juxxi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I confirm. Windows 10 host version 17134.228 with ubuntu guest. After 10-12 hours

of uptime, vmware borks the host os and only way to recover is host os hard boot..!

Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad 

0 Kudos
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

bonnie201110141,

Version 14.0.0 came out in 2017, September 26th.  I've been messing with this release 14 problem since EARLY JUNE  and it's now LATE AUGUST, almost a YEAR from initial release.  Something is WRONG, as also reported in other posts, that over time (hours or days) Workstation 14.1.3 slows way down and eventually locks.  And even can lock the host.  This release is NOT READY for PRODUCTION USE. It's about time to get a working, reliable, dependable Workstation from VMware.  All releases from version 6 through 12 were EXCELLENT, version 14 and it's support is NOT.

How about a realistic timeline for delivering a working product?!

0 Kudos
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

See how Juxxi describes this problem in my post VMWare Workstation 14.1.2 build-8497320, locks up.

We're waiting for some sort of reply/fix from @VMware

0 Kudos
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

Another 4.1.3 Lockup.  See my other posting for details...page 65..

0 Kudos
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

See the continuing comments thread.

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi  Dick and Juxxi,

We took a lot of investigation with you logs, and did a lot of trials, such as massive disk IO, multiple VMs concurrent operations, high disk stress testing in guest and hosts in Linux and windows. But still couldn't reproduce your issue in our local environment as you described.
Our assumption is that maybe some applications in your guests caused this kind of locking up. If possible, could you gather the running application information list in you guests?
We hope to reproduce your issue in our environment, or else, it's hard to find the root cause.

Hope to get your understanding, and we'll keep trying to improve our product's quality.

0 Kudos
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

I have a support log for you but FTP site rejects logon.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
DickHinSC
Contributor
Contributor

I uploaded support file "DickHinSC_vmsupport-2018-10-22-14-04.zip".

One invocation os WS 14.1.3, 5 Guests (2 Win7, 1 Win 8.1, 2 Win 10)  All had been sitting over night with no Apps running except one of the Win7 guests which had Chrome with many tabs, but only tab with GMail was selected. All 5 had screen blanked due to inactivity timeout.  After about 12+ hours in this state, I moved the mouse to turn on the screens.  I clicked on the black Win7 screen and Workstation title immediately said "Non-Responsive" and everything went cloudy white tint.   Note that host Taskmanager was running and showing on a 2nd display.  It's Performance tab was showing 2 secs to 7 secs "Average Response time" for Disk 0 (C:D:). Host sys on C:, VMs on D:.  I clicked on host "File Explorer" and when I tried to see files on 😧 it too went cloudy white, and it's title said Non-Responsive".  I left the system in this state and came back to it in about 90 minutes.  Cloudy white screens had turned normal and I was able to shut down all VMs successfully, collect support data, and reboot host, then restarting the Win7 which I'd been trying to use some 100 minutes ago.

Please advise when an update that truly FIXES this long-standing problem is available.

0 Kudos