VMware Communities
SMac123
Contributor
Contributor

WOrkstation Pro 12.5.0 -> 12.5.1 USB Not Working

I am running a Windows 10 Host Machine with the latest updates and after upgrading from Workstation Pro 12.5.0 -> 12.5.1 no USB removable USB devices were available in Workstation Pro. After doing an uninstall of Workstation Pro 12.5.1 ( /clean option) and a reinstall of same I checked the c:\windows\System32\drivers\hcmon.sys but it appeared to be the same version as in 12.5.0.  Anyway, I reverted to 12.5.0 and my USB peripherals are working again.

Just wondering if anybody else had similar issues and found a resolutions to same?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

I was not able to reproduce the issue on my Windows 10 host. hcmon.sys is supposed to be the same as Workstation 12.5. Can you check in Windows "Services" that VMware USB Arbitration Service" is started or not?

0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Bonnie, I do have the same problem after upgrade from 12.5 to 12.5.1.

USB Arbitration DO NOT start with Error 2: Impossible to find the specified file (I translate from not english language, so it is something like that, I think it is clear).

I looked at the service property and I find it point to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\USB\vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe"

Then in my localized system that file is in "C:\Programmi (x86)\Common Files\VMware\USB\vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe"

I think the problem is this. Then it was never introduced before upgrade to 12.5.1. Worked fine with 12.5 and versions before.

Now I'm wondering how to fix this problem without messin up with my system folder trees.

Let me know how to fix it if you can.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi piggyz,

Do you have any other VMware software installed on your host besides VMware Workstation, like vSphere client? Usually these products all have USB arbitrator component which might be in conflict sometimes. If that is true, will you please uninstall Workstation firstly and then manually remove USB components under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\USB\*. Then reinstall Workstation and see if your problem is solved.

0 Kudos
byrneit
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded and have the same problem. Everything worked before.
I have VCenter standalone converter installed as well.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi byrneit,

Thanks for reporting this issue. Does the workaround in comment#3 work for you?

0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bonnie,

no I don't have any other VMware program installed on this machine. Just Workstation Pro and obviously the player. The problem is still here. 😞

What can I do?

Thankx

0 Kudos
byrneit
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, my problems seems different. My USB Arbitrator service starts, but I still get connection errors trying to connect USB devices to VMs. I've done a full uninstall and reinstall (kept keys and preferences). Still have the problem in 12.5.2 4638234

0 Kudos
larry6711
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Cannot get USBs to show up. New laptop. No other VMware product has ever been installed. Reinstalled version 12.5.2 multiple time. Tried a repair. Finally uninstalled and installed version 12.5.0. Now USBs work correctly.

0 Kudos
cyrus104
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue but am running workstation 12.5.2. Until the update I had no problems, after the update I only see 3 devices in the removable device section. I can plug in new devices and my host will see and use the device but the USB list in vmware menu new updates to show the device so I can connect it to the vm.

Thanks

0 Kudos
drueter
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem.  The problem seems to be with hcmon.sys (HCMON / a prerequisite for the VMware USB Arbitration Service).  Though Windows reports the problem is that "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\USB\vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe" could not be found, the problem is really with the required HCMON.   After reading this thread and doing some more research I ended up solving it as follows:

1. Uninstall VMware Workstation (12.5.2)
  2. Before rebooting, move or rename C:\Windows\System32\hcmon.sys
  3. Reboot (required!)
  4. Download VMware Workstation 12.5.2
  5. Reinstall VMware Workstation.  Uncheck the "Enhanced Keyboard Driver" option
  6. Open Services control panel applet.  Verifiy that VMware USB Arbitration Service is now running

Some of these steps may not be needed (such as renaming hcmon.sys and unchecking "Enhanced Keyboard Driver"), but these steps did resolve the problem for me.

Note that simply reinstalling VMware (without first uninstalling and rebooting) did NOT work.

0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I simply fixed this problem upgrading from 12.5.1 to 12.5.2.

0 Kudos