VMware Communities
Tonatiuh2011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WMware Workstation and QNAP SMB share

QNAP NAS with OS 4.3.5

Client Machine: WinSvr2016 Standard (no Hyper-V installed) <- Connected to QNAP NAS.

VMware Workstation 15 installed in the Client Machine

Shared folder in QNAP mounted by SMB in the CLient MAchine

When creating, cloning, etc. VMware Workstaton VMs in the QNAP SMB Shared folder, constantly returns messages about lack of privileges. Here some of them: "Insufficient permissions.", "Cloning failed. The request could not be performed because and I/O device error.", and others.

WMware is the unique software that raises this problems into this QNAP SMB share. I can creat and copy files with Windows Explorer, I can work with Oracle Virtual Box VMs in the same SMB share, Etc.

VMware Workstation can work OK in a QNAP share if it is an iSCSI LUN, but this is not acceptable for this particular case, because other machine clients should be able to work with other VMs into the same share... and iSCSI cannot be mounted in more than one client machine for this purpose (without a clusterware "joining" all that client machines, which is not the case here).

Any idea about what I have to config in VMware Workstation to be able to work in a SMB share?

Regards,

0 Kudos
0 Replies