VMware Communities
atazs
Contributor
Contributor

WMware Workstation Player 12 mouse issue after installing SVGA drivers

Hello, i'm new to VMware and this sort of stuff in general so i apologize if this is the wrong place for this.

Basically i installed Windows 7 Ultimate in WMware Workstation and noticed that after i installed the SVGA driver to enhance my video card and to allow higher resolutions and such, the mouse became one with my host computer. What i mean is is that before i installed it i couldn't move the mouse out of the client OS only if i pressed CTRL+ALT which made it switch back to my original mouse but kept the mouse inside the client OS. Now after i installed the SVGA driver (and only this one, as i made sure to not install any other drivers) this doesn't work anymore. I have one mouse cursor that i can move out of the screen and everywhere without issues and if i press CTRL+ALT it doesn't stay inside the OS and becomes invisible. I'm not sure how to explain this better, sorry.

I'M currently running the latest version of Windows 10 with an Nvidia GTX1080 with the latest drivers, and have a G-SYNC monitor running at 144hz and 2560x1440 resolution (Displayport)

I used VMware before when i had Windows 7 and a different monitor and an older card, and i don't remember having this issue. I need the mouse working inside the client OS as well as outside on my own OS at the same time. I've been struggling to find a solution as installing the VMware pointer devices and such for my mouse does not work and the same issue persists.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

When you install the VMware Tools, it includes the mouse driver which enables the mouse to seamlessly move between host and guest without being trapped in the guest and needing the Ctrl-Alt hotkey to leave.  If you don't like this behavior, you can disable it in a setting (can't remember off the top of my head if it is a per-guest setting in the vmx file, or a global setting in the Workstation preferences).

0 Kudos