VMware Communities
Koko_Shanel
Contributor
Contributor

WMware NAT doesn't pass traffic from the Host-Only network back

Hello,

Please see my network below, I have two interfaces - NAT and Host-Only which are connected with their guests. Host-Only Guest has the NAT Guest as a gateway and the latter is connected to the both VM interfaces, so they interact fine between each other, with their VMnets interfaces (at windows host machine) and NAT Guest has an access to the Internet. But the problem is that looks like the VMware NAT interface (192.168.109.2) does not pass the traffic destined to the other networks besides the NAT network (192.168.211.0/24) back.

So, if I try to ping from Host-Only Guest some hosts behind the VMWare NAT, the traffic reach its destination and returns back but looks like then it's terminated by the VMware engine. It's not surprising because I understand from the datasheets that Host-Only Guests are supposed to be isolated from the other networks but I thought it can be possible if they connected to it via NAT network (192.168.109.169 router in this case).

Could you please comment on my guess - is my guess true or not? I mean, If I'd like to isolate my network from the others then just a removing the gateway to it would be more than enough but in this case it looks like there is no way to build several networks connected to the Internet at all. Host-only networks are filtered by VMware and NAT network could be the only one.

So, let me repeat it once again  - is there a way to bring up my Host-Only networks to the Internet via VMware NAT somehow?

Thank you!

vmware.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just get rid of host only network adapter in your virtual machines and you will be much happier.   I only use nat or bridged connections, and have never found a use for host only.

BTW: they named it Host Only for a reason. O:-)

0 Kudos