WMware 7.1 Virtual Machine W7 and W2008 DHCP problem

Hello

I have WmWare 7.1 trial so far,

made two virtual machines

a) Windows 7 trial

b) windows 2008 R2 trial

Host system Windows 7

both virtual machines are working

windows 2008 server is faine,  working, and the network is also OK  (I am getting an IP address from the DHCP)

windows 7 - problems

first there was no network card, ( missing drivers) windows was not able to locate a network card, so I installed a driver manually from WM folder (fromy my host system)

now I have on W7 network card, but it can't locate DHCP server, and I am getting an IP address AIPA 169.254.x.x

I was googling, checking WMware knowledgeBase,  can't find the answer what to do to fix the windows7  (thats the problem I guess)

any answer - appreciate, and thank you

tomt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

By default Windows 7 and Windows 2008 will not respond to pings. You need to allow this in the Windows advanced firewall settings.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tomtoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After reinstalling w7 AGAIN  the sytuation is OK  both systems have IP addresses

both system are ABLE to ping default gateway,   but they do not ping each other!  ;(

they are both in the same subnet

helppp pleae

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

By default Windows 7 and Windows 2008 will not respond to pings. You need to allow this in the Windows advanced firewall settings.

André

0 Kudos
tomtoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, just fixed that!,   turned off firewalls, 

now, I am working on net use

when I try to map net use n: \\ip address\share /user:tom password

it says that error 67 ( network name not recognized) so I am working on it Smiley Wink

tom

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does net use \\ip-address\ipc$ /u:administrator password work?

André

tomtoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am ding (imagex  ) ony win7 , after that will try to( net use) and copy that image to server 2008

everything on MWWare Workstation

will let u know if that works

thank you very much!  I appreciate your help

Tom

0 Kudos
tomtoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it does !!

thank you

jezzz WMware is powerfull ,  it is a great tool,

thank u

0 Kudos
tomtoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it says

The user context supplied is invalid

the user and password I type are ok

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the last two replies I understood "net use \\ip-address\ipc$ /u:administrator password" worked , but you are then unable to map the drive using aother userID!? Once a connection to a server exists, all subsequent connections use the same credentials (the "/u:user password" arguments cannot be used in that case). You cannot map a drive from the same server with another userID, unless you first delete all existing mappings. What you can do - if you need connect to a server with 2 different accounts - is to map one drive using the server's hostname and another one using the server's IP address.

André

0 Kudos