VMware Communities
PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WMWare worksation 11: Won't start Windows 10 guest after applying update from Microsoft

I am running WMWare Workstation 11.1.4 and my windows 10 guest does not restart after downloading and applying latest update from Microsoft. 

When the guest tries to start the window is black and automatically resizes to about 1/8 of it's original size.  Below is what the Workstation screen looks like. 

Any thoughts?

pastedImage_0.png

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Full support for Windows 10 as both guest and host started in Workstation 12 according to the release notes.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/12.0/rn/workstation-12-release-notes.html#new

Evidently, there are people who choose not to upgrade and stay in version 11 and face the same black screen issue that you now face with the Creators Update in the Windows 10 guest VM. And the workaround is to install a later version of the SVGA 3D driver.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It is likely due to a the older VMware SVGA video driver inside in the VM.

Have a look at this thread on how to update and get past the black screen: "The virtual machine could not be changed to the selected monitor layout" after update windows 10 to...

PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I could not access the Windows 10 guest to attempt to update the video driver...

I am reverting to the latest snap shot then downloading and installing all Windows 10 updates to the guest to see if I can pinpoint the failure.

Thank you for your advice and guidance.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Since you have a snapshot, it is easier than the "Safe Mode" method. So you can update the video driver before you get the Windows 10 updates to avoid the black screen episode.

0 Kudos
PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I might have stumbled on the root issue.  The ISO Image file was pointing to a 2012 Server ISO Image.  I just noticed this as I reviewed all of the settings and options after restoring the snapshot.  I'll update the video drivers as well and post if this does not solve the problem

Thank You!

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought this was an issue with the ISO image file but after working through the MS updates for Windows 10 I have isolated the issue to the installation of Windows 10 Creators. 

My VMWare workstation version if 11.1.4.  Does this version support Windows 10 Creators?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Full support for Windows 10 as both guest and host started in Workstation 12 according to the release notes.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/12.0/rn/workstation-12-release-notes.html#new

Evidently, there are people who choose not to upgrade and stay in version 11 and face the same black screen issue that you now face with the Creators Update in the Windows 10 guest VM. And the workaround is to install a later version of the SVGA 3D driver.

0 Kudos