VMware Communities
aHumanError
Contributor
Contributor

WFW 3.11 Issues

Hello.

I've looked around some of the Win 3.11 issues on here but none really address what issues I'm facing.

I can install WFW 3.11 perfectly fine, with sound and a patched driver for 1024x768 with 256 colors. The problem is always when I come to install the network, I know it's not the drivers because I've had this all up and running on other virtual machine software perfectly; but VMWare is the best for all OS's I have and it's a shame I can't get this to work.

So each time I install the drivers I encounter a random error, for example I installed the adaptor driver, reset (Everything is fine) then I install the TCP protocol, reset, and get 'Error loading USER.EXE', I've also had errors with other files with other attempts. But sometimes (for whatever reason) it does work and it'll boot into Windows, I can even ping google and get a response! But then when I come to install a browser (IE, Netscape) I get a whole load of problems. A common one is installing IE, it'll initially come up with an error from setup saying that it can't find 'englang.dll' or something, but I'm able to continue clicking next anyway, it'll get to the moment it starts to actually copy files over and I get the famous 'SETUP has cause a general protection fault. Ignore or Cancel' of course if I ignore it keeps coming up and if I cancel it exits to DOS. If I restart Windows again (Weather from here or a restart) I find that it's broken the install; either it crashes on startup or there's just a blank screen. I tend to get a lot of GPF errors after attempting to install these drivers.

It just seems that by installing the network components it somehow renders it unstable, but like I said it's worked find on other software. I can only assume it's a problem with the way it's visualizing something, I've tried turning hardware acceleration off and changing the CPU type but not much makes a difference.

Is there any recommended settings or something? I currently have it running with hardware compatibility 6.0, 32MB of ram.

Regards

EDIT:

After playing around with it some more I think I can definitely say that the network drivers are somehow making it unstable. I tried a new installation but this time installed the network drivers first, I go through the usual procedure of installing MS Network Client 3.0 in DOS first, then installing the adaptor/protocol in windows, it seemed to install OK and I was able to ping google via windows, but nothing else would install! I tried to install the sound drivers (Which is through DOS) that normally installes fine 100% of the time but this time after it went through the setup there was no sound in Windows, I go through setup again and notice that a setting isn't right. It has 'Install Path: C:\SB16' which is fine, 'Windows Drive: C:\' which is fine, but then 'Windows Install: None', highly unusual. So I change that to C:\Windows\ press enter and it just crashed with the DOS colors out of place, it's like it's possessed with those damn network drivers. How it works on other VM software is a mystery.

Message was edited by: Mike R

1 Reply
SRPFC
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here with Windows 3.1 (upgrading).

0 Kudos