VMware Communities
asterlx
Contributor
Contributor

W10 VM + Chrome + Youtube video playback crashes the SVGA 3D driver

I have similar issues that the follow link

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Workstation-Tech-Preview/W10-VM-Chrome-Youtube-video-playback-cras...

Any solution? from one day to other the widnows 10 vm starting to crash

need help

Thanks

16 Replies
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

bump; Just confirming that the crash still occurs with VMware Workstation 17.0.0. VMware Tools / SVGA driver version is not changed from what I posted after upgrading to the 'refreshed' 22H2 tech preview.

(Oddly enough manifest.txt inside the VMware Tools ISO says that the WDDM driver version would be 9.17.4.3 but only .1 gets installed, so no change there.)

Really, really annoying as I use Chrome as my web browser and many sites besides YouTube have videos on autoplay (Twitter, news sites etc.). Every single time one of those embedded videos starts playing the display blanks for a second or two as the SVGA driver crashes and restarts.

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

Updated VMware Tools to 12.1.5: SVGA driver was updated to version 9.17.04.0002, build 20508827. Still happens.

0 Kudos
baradh
Contributor
Contributor

This display crash happens with both windows and ubuntu as well, with both chrome and opera browser as well. Hence this is more of vmware issue, and this is unresolved for a long time now. Will Vmware team fix this asap.

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

Updated to VMware Tools 12.2.0 which was released a few days ago. SVGA driver updated to version 9.17.05.0001 build 20992514. The crash still happens. Come on guys. The bug is not hard to reproduce.

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

Updated to VMware Workstation 17.0.2 and the bug still occurs. The bundled VMware Tools is versioned 12.1.5 which is lower than the downloadable package (12.2.0).

(Interestingly the manifest file says the WDDM driver version is 9.17.4.5 but only .4.2 gets automatically installed, which is of course lower than what comes with VMware Tools 12.2.0. The bug occurs either way.)

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

Updated VMware Tools to v12.2.5. The bug is still there. 😬

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

Updated to VMware Tools 12.2.6, the bug still manifests itself.

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure why, but often I can't reproduce issues affect a lot, that is strange to me.

No issue playing YouTube video on Edge (based chromium) browser or Firefox for that matter. Not in window nor Linux.

In such case, it would be nice, and helpful for the developer to attach logs and pics cause it could be specific to your configurations.

Can you post pics of GPU-Z and some logs?

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

The issue happens with Chrome, not Edge. The logs are the same as posted in the post linked in the first message (Panic: NOT_IMPLEMENTED d:\build\ob\bora-19952028\bora-vmsoft\build\release-x64\svga\wddm\src\usermode_10\packdraw.c:247 and the SVGA WDDM user mode driver panics)

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming you are using i7-8665u with intel 620 graphic. it could be the reason both CPU and GPU are old and very slow. Considering VMWare doesn't support hardware decoder yet, it will depends on the CPU and it will be huge load. So if you have weak CPU it might be the issue.

I would suggest try using 8G ram and all 8 threads of your CPU with high performance profile to compensate the slow CPU/GPU and return.

BTW. Edge, Chrome ..... Potato, Patato

Yet, I installed Chrome and tested YouTube with no issues, Tested with Windows 11 DEV and VMWare tech 2023 and tools 12.3.0

Edit: try also disabling av1 decoder for Chrome and return

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

It is absolutely a VMware software bug. It happens both with Intel integrated graphics and an Nvidia discrete GPU even on beefy hardware. Like I've said, it only happens with Chrome on a Windows 10 guest. Edge apparently does something differently and doesn't crash, and I do not know about W11 as I haven't tested that.

I tried upgrading to the 2023 tech preview, updated VMware Tools to 12.3.0 (the in-guest graphics driver version changed from 9.17.5.1 to 9.17.6.3 per dxdiag), updated the virtual hardware version and the bug is still there.

Disabling the av1 decoder does not help.

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only difference between Edge and Chrome, aside the fact that Google collects more data about you, is that Chrome enables av1 decoder by default, while in Edge you have to download the decode extension from the store app.

I was bored so I installed both Windows 10 32 and 64 and tested YouTube in Chrome with no issues.

It 100% not a bug as I couldn't reproduce it, and I promise if it was a big you will definitely see lots of people complaining. I am 100 % sure it is something with your configuration or a certain hardware. Update your bios and drivers my last hope for you.

10x32-2023-08-27-18-56-01.png10x64-2023-08-27-18-58-30.png

0 Kudos
bondmedve
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Windows 11 on VMWare 17.5.0, when playing videos on youtube with chrome. Latest vmare-tools. 

I have this problem on a destop machine with a 4070, and a laptop with intel integrated diplay adapter. Both machines with latest Ubuntu 23.10

2023-10-28T09:47:11.236Z In(05) vcpu-5 Guest: DXUM_10: 3052: Panic: NOT_IMPLEMENTED d:\build\ob\bora-22378203\bora-vmsoft\build\release-x64\svga\wddm\src\usermode_10\packdraw.c:247

0 Kudos
bondmedve
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is gone, either a Chrome or a Windows update fixed it,

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, it is not fixed, I just had it happen. VMware Workstation 17.5.0, VMware Tools 12.3.5, Windows 10 updated to the December 2023 patch level on both host and guest, latest Chrome (120.0.6099.71) in the guest, and watching a video on Youtube immediately results in a crash of the SVGA driver.

0 Kudos
johncenix
Contributor
Contributor

@jen2 wrote:

It 100% not a bug as I couldn't reproduce it, and I promise if it was a big you will definitely see lots of people complaining. I am 100 % sure it is something with your configuration or a certain hardware. Update your bios and drivers my last hope for you.

I really don't know what to tell you. It happens on three distinct hw/os combinations for me (Linux host with Intel integrated graphics, Windows host with Intel and a Windows host with NVidia, all with a w10x64 guest and Chrome and latest GPU drivers and firmware on the host side), VMware developers have confirmed it, it is a real bug in the VMware "SVGA" driver. Please don't deny what I see with my own eyes and what gets documented in vmware.log every time the crash happens.

0 Kudos