VMware Communities
v4jey1972
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware workstation virtual network editor

He IT People,

I would like some help with vmware network settings please. I have a wired bridge connection direct to my network at home that works fine. I am trying to add my wireless card to the vmware network. I can add anew network via virtuall network editor and called if you like vmnet9 , add as a bridged connection and point it to my wireless card fine.

But when i add the new network to a virtual machine it does not pick up any wire less SSID to connect too ?

Thank You in advance

Moderator edit by wila: Moved post from Technical Community Resources to VMware Workstation Pro discussions

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The virtual network adapter presented to the virtual machine is always a wired network adapter.
The connection to the WiFi adapter is via a virtual network hub (it's called a virtual switch, but it is technically much more similar to a hub)

As such your VM is not aware of being connected via WiFi and as a result there is no SSID available.
If you want to use WiFi directly in the VM then you'll have to pass through an external USB wifi adapter directly to the VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
v4jey1972
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Wila,

What I am trying to achvie is deploy a machine on vmware with a config file that it joins it to wifi and Axure intune. The application that , i am using ask to config the wireless setting and ad it to the config package.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I have no knowledge about Microsoft Azure Intune at all, this also might not be the forum for questions about Intune, you might have better luck at Microsoft's forums for that.

But I do know that you can't see an SSID from within your VM. Configuring your WiFi from within the VM won't work.

Perhaps you can setup a VPN connection via intune, but I don't know if that helps you at all.

There might be others who can help you here.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos