VMware Communities
azouid1988
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware workstation upload is greyed out

Hi all,

The problem is as follows :

I would like to upload a Virtual machine , which is deployed on the VMware® Workstation 12 Pro ,  to the vsphere ESXi .

the problem is the "upload" option in  Workstation --> manage --> upload  , is greyed out .

Another information , the Virtual machine that I would like to upload to the vSphere server , has an attached physical disk .

The same operation works fine with other machines that have only virtual disks .  probably the machines with attached physical partions are not uploadable ,  in this case any suggestions to do it ?

(I thought about Creating a new virtual disk , copy the content of the physical disk in the new virtual disk , detach the physical disk ,, and upload  ,,,,,, but this is time consuming , and it is more or less against the principle of the simple upload that should make it easier ,,,,)

Many thanks in advance !

A.Z

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi A.Z.

I'm afraid that the method you outlined is the only way to do so.

Using a physical in your VM means that the VM is non portable, you effectively tied the VM to the physical hardware as long as the VM is using a physical disk or physical partition.

If you don't care about the content of the physical disk, then you could try to disconnect the disk in the VM and see if the upload works that way. This would be something I would try.

Another strategy (but this one is kind of dangerous and I advise against going down this path) is to have a separate vmx that doesn't include the physical disk at all.

The reason it is dangerous is because if you make a snapshot that the vmx files are out of sync and booting the VM with the other vmx file would damage the virtual disk and break your VM as the snapshot chain would be broken.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
azouid1988
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil ,

Thank you so much for your helpful advise , I just replaced the physical disk to a virtual one , and uploaded  .

A.Z

0 Kudos