Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware workstation 11 and Windows 10 Build 9926 auto resize not working

Host: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Vmware: Workstation 11

Guest: Windows 10 Build 9926

Problem I'm having is in the guest os (win 10).  I can't auto resize the guest to fit the window (Vmware worksation, View, Fit guest now.  It flickers to the full screen, then goes back to the resolution it was at.  I'm stuck at the resolutions Windows gives me.

I know this build just came out today.  But I figured I'd give you guys a heads up.

Thx.

43 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update, after turning off "Accelerate 3D graphics" I shut down Windows 10 virtual machine then turned  ON "Accelerate 3D graphics" and resize works again as normal. Can others please try it and let people know if it works for them to. My host machine is Windows 7 Pro using a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT video card. Also make sure you update Window 10 there are some virtual machine fixes, just not one that fixed this bug.

0 Kudos
an0maly33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope. I turned off 3d Accel and it worked, turned it back on and it's back to not resizing.  Intel integrated 4000 series (Haswell) gpu.

0 Kudos
Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope.  I'm still back to re-sizing not working.  Intel Graphics family video.

0 Kudos
ledonet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using Nvidia GTX770 card on a Win 8.1 VMware Wks 11. I've disabled as suggested the 3D support, rebooted and repaired Vmware tools. After repair I've switched on again 3D support and it's not working as described by others, BUT I get Win10 VM autofit correctly in "full screen mode".

JohnPeterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is it fixed in workstation 11.1?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Workstation 11.1 does not address this issue.  If I am understanding our internal bug report notes correctly, it would seem that the programming interface we are using to set the screen resolution is defective and we'll be depending on Microsoft to fix it.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
JohnPeterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what's the name of the api call?

0 Kudos
tezgnomedia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With 11.0, you are at least able to start the tech preview with 3D turned on, it just doesn't resize. With 11.1, once you login, you get a blank screen. Just a FYI.

0 Kudos
VWorker99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this same resize problem, and it only resizes correctly for fullscreen, same as for ledonet.

Inside Windows 10, setting screen resolution, I manually adjusted to a more useful size than the default (though it does not quite fill the window properly).  Until Windows comes up with fix.

Since build 2296 I've also lost shared folders through VMware tools.  Anyone else seen that too?

0 Kudos
Stitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank's Mr. Dean,  that did it for me too.

0 Kudos
JohnPeterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

fixed in 10041?

0 Kudos
Michael_Non
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope.

0 Kudos
Yollidon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 on NOT fixed/working in W10 build 10041.

Turning OFF 3D setting lets auto resize work. 🙂

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The strangest thing is that somehow I had it working in build 9926, but it's definitely NO LONGER working in 10041.

Somewhere around here I made a thread about difficulties (but not impossibility) of going full screen on 3 monitors with 9926.  Now I can't even get close to doing that, quite probably for the same reason as the root cause behind the reports in this thread.

-Noel

0 Kudos
zasran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue still persists on VMW 11.1 with Windows 10 10049.

Turning off 3D acceleration still works as workaround.

0 Kudos
ncage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apparently it doesn't happen in all cases. I had a 24 LCD widescreen LCD. I decided i wanted to change the orientation from landscape (1920x1200) to portrait (1200x1920) and then thats when i started having issues with the resolution. Before it was fine. I'm on the current build of Windows 10 (10049). As everyone else has suggested turning of 3D acceleration fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
bmalloy68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turning off 3D did not work on surface pro 3 unit at first, but once reinstalled VMWare tools and used repair option, it instantly reset the size before the reboot and then it was fine. 

0 Kudos
MyITGuy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey matthewls,

I've been annoyed with this since the version 10 upgrade (now on version 11). Your solution worked for me.

Thank you!

I believe there are multiple issues in relation to guest window re-sizing which require different resolutions or workarounds. For me, the issue I was having was corrected by changing the number of monitors to 1 without disabling 3D acceleration. Here is some more detail on the issue I had.

Symptoms

Fit Guest Now is greyed out

Autofit Window does not work as expected (wouldn't re-size)

Workaround

1. Shut down the virtual machine.
  2. Edit virtual machine settings
  3. On the left, highlight Display in the Device list
  4. On the right, under Monitors,
    1. Change Use host settings for monitors to Specify monitor settings
    2. Set Number of monitors to 1.
  5. Start the virtual machine.

Root Cause

Unknown

Additional Information

This may be due to the host, at one time, having multiple monitors attached. Even when the host changes back to using 1 monitor, the issue persists.

Real-world Example

When a laptop is docked, it has 3 monitors (laptop screen, a portrait monitor and a landscape monitor). When it is undocked, it has 1 monitor (laptop screen). No matter whether docked or undocked, the issue exists.

0 Kudos
dieselnet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turn Off 3D Acceleration in Settings : It fixes

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey MyITGuy,

Thank you! The 1 screen and no acceleration fixed the issue.

Cheers,

Matthew

0 Kudos