VMware Communities
dheerajGaba
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware tools

I am trying to install VMware tools option from menu but whenever I click on it nothing happens except menu changes to "cancel install"

How can I be sure that it has installed Vmware tools. Is there another way to install it from some is file

Please suggest

0 Kudos
8 Replies
toby1
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

if you klick on the button; in your guest os the cd-device is the install-kit for the tools!

so...

at first klick in your menu bar on the button "install vmware tools"

2. you have to change in your guest os

and at last start your vmware tool kit from the cd drive!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What is your guest OS? I'm assuming Linux here, since the Tools setup didn't autostart. Refer to the user manual for installing Tools. http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_newguest_tools_linux.html

Rob

0 Kudos
drnshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Toby,

I am also having difficulty installing VMware tools. I'm running VMware Server 1.1. I have clicked on 'install VMware tools. Within VMware I have clicked on the CD for the tools and tried to install it in several ways:

For the .RPM, I've tried installing it with Kpackage and with file manager. Both "seem" to install but apparentely they haven't.

I'm running SuSE Linux 10 and using Kpackage I select to replace files, replace packages, check dependencies AND keep the window open. I then select 'install.' I receive a result=0 (which means no problems encountered) but the tools are still not installed.

I'd really like to be able to install VMware tools but I'm somewhat frustrated.

Thanks,

Nick.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Personally, I've never gotten the rpm version of the tools to work. Maybe I'm just being stupid about it, but I'm a Linux newb. I have always used the command line/tarball package and never had a problem in any of my Linux guests that way.

0 Kudos
drnshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's certainly one way and it's provided. I may give it a shot. I've been running Linux (since Red Hat 6.0 and now SuSE) for many years. If I can get it working using the RPM file that, to me, is the easiest way to go.

I have three Linux servers (one VMware and two standalone) and don't need extra work (although getting VMware Tools installed is certainly extra work...).

0 Kudos
jrj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I skip the package manager and just use rpm directly

so for suse 10 (vmware using 5.5.2):

after chosing VM->Install VMware Tools, bring up a shell and become the root user (su -)

and

rpm -Uvh /media/VMware_Tools/VMwareTools-5.5.2-29772.i386.rpm

vmware-config-tools.pl

0 Kudos
drnshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks jrj. I did that. None of the pre-built vmhgfs modules for VMware Tools is suitable for my running kernel. It'll build them but I need to load the include files (and probably some source code but not yet...).

Again, thanks!

Nick.

0 Kudos
MacRasta
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks jrj,

After hours of breaking my head to install it, it finally works!!!!

but I had to go to the cdrom folder, and from there install VMware

rpm -Uvh /VMwareTools-5.5.2-29772.i386.rpm

Machine said VMware tools was already installed ... but didn't find anything in the Services. After the 2nd commandline (vmware-config-tools.pl) everything was fine, found VMWareTools in my services ......

THANKS!!

0 Kudos