VMware Communities
vcespon
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware tools in Windows NT4 WS (VmWare Workstation 6.5)

Hi, I don't know if anyone cares any longer for this OS, but I tried to perfom an install and I get an BSOD after installing VmWare Tools. I did everything again, updating to SP6, IE6 and all patches but after instaling just the SVGA driver, I get 0x0000001E (0x800000003,.... KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. And among the modules loaded it is vmx_fb.dll.

So for the moment, only VGA supported on this OS.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SBFox
Contributor
Contributor

I have encountered the same BSOD using VMWare Fusion 2.0.1 (for Mac OS X). It appears this is a problem common to the latest version of VMWare Tools

I'll be posting more details of this in the VMWware Fusion forum but just to back up your claim, my BSOD resulted in a freshly built-from-scratch VM, Win NT & service pack 6a, right after vmware tools was installed. I can boot into NT's VGA mode just fine, and if I uninstall vmware tools, I can use the normal NT boot option as well (Alas, VGA only).

Oddly enough. I can take an NT VM that boots/runs in Fusion 1.1, suspend (Not powered off) it, bring it over and run it in Fusion 2.0.1just fine, so long as I don't upgrade the VM's tools.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

Please follow the instructions in Fusion's forum related post and also post your memory minidump, screenshot of the BSOD and hardware information.

0 Kudos