VMware Communities
Pavlos555
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware guests machines cannot communicate in the same network with Vmware host

Dear All,

I am using Vmware workstation version 12.1.1 build-3770994 and i want to connect to the same network my host OS (Windows 10, 64-bit  (Build 14393) 10.0.14393) with my two guest machines (debian linux and windows 7).

Currently as per my research from page https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_configurations_bridged.html i enabled to the virtual network editor two bridged interfaces (one linked to my host wireless adapter and the other linked to my Ethernet adapter.

Status is that both guest machines are able to communicate with each other and to all other hosts on the same network (ping is possible and also network shares are accessible) and acquire a DHCP address from the router (i have tested my environment only to wireless connections on multiple routers - home, office and public WiFi access), but neither of them are able to communicate with the host machine and vice versa as during all of my ping tests i am getting the result destination host unreachable from the IP address of the guests. All three machines are able to ping the default gateway at all times.

Also I have proceeded and uninstalled AVG antivirus that i had installed before installing workstation to my laptop and also disable windows firewall on both windows machines (the host and one guest).

Can you please assist me with the above?

Regards,

Pavlos

0 Kudos
7 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Pavlos:

Welcome to the community and would you please help to confirm some details?

1)  You created two bridged interfaces, and which bridge do the two VMs connected to ? Wireless or Wired ? It will be nice if you can attache the picture of your Virtual Network Editor and the VM Setting page

2)  Your problem is that you can not ping from VM to the ip address of your wireless adapter located on your host, right? Do the ip address of the guest and the wireless adapter belong to the same subnet? and they share the same default gateway?

3) If you connect your VM to the Bridge which bind to the wired Ethernet adapter, can the VM ping the ip address of the wired Ethernet adapter ?

0 Kudos
Pavlos555
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

1) I tried the two VMs connected to both wired and wireless bridged connections, but with no success. Following are the network editor and VM settings.

Vmware network manager 1.png

Vmware network manager 2.png

Debian VM settings.png

Windows 7 VM settings.png

2) Problem is that i cannot ping from the VM machines to the IP address of my host either it is the wireless or the wired adapter and the opposite. Both guests machines are acquiring a DHCP IP address from the router (i have tested it in multiple routers and ISP connections) in the same network as the host machine sharing the same default gateway. All other devices in the same network are able to communicate with both guests machines and the host.

Debian VM.png

Windows 7 VM network details.png

Windows 7 VM network scan.png

Windows 7 VM no access.png

Windows 10 host.png

3) No it is not possible.

0 Kudos
Pavlos555
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

As an update for testing i proceeded and installed virtualbox in my host machine.

I migrated my debian guest machine to virtualbox using this article http://www.howtogeek.com/125640/how-to-convert-virtual-machines-between-virtualbox-and-vmware/ and with the same bridged settings i was able to access the host machine and all network computers from the guest machine and the opposite.

Debian Virtualbox connectivity.JPG

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have a setup according to your settings, however can not reproduce the issue. Would you please help me confirm more things?

1) If the guest use NAT mode, is the communication between host and guest fine?

2) Would you please  exchange the bindings of two bridged network. The detail -- bind VMnet0 to the wired adapter and bind VMnet2 to the wireless adatper, then chang the VM's VM Setting to connect the VM's Network adapter to "custom -- VMnet2"

0 Kudos
MaxVM2k
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact issue (see my post Network bridge not working on Intel AC8260 WiFi adapter ). Just like in your case, the guest VMs are able to get an IP from the external DHCP server, but then the VMs have no connectivity. TCP and ICMP traffic doesn't go anywhere. In my case this only happens when I bridge with the Intel AC8260 WiFi adapter. Everything works as expected with the Realtek Ethernet port on the laptop.

Edit:

I should add the the guest VMs respond to ping from the host and from any other device on the network. I also found another person reporting the same issue in another forum: networking - VMware Workstation: Bridge to Wireless NIC will not route traffic to wireless AP - Supe... . He also has the same Intel AC8260 adapter as me. If I had to guess the issue is between the VMware bridge driver and the Intel driver.

0 Kudos
Pavlos555
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

1) If i use NAT mode the communication between host and guest is fine (i was able to ping from host to guest and the opposite).

2) I followed your recommendation, but the result is the same. From either machines (guest or host) i am able to access all other machines in the network but not each other.

0 Kudos
Pavlos555
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

As per my testing for me the issue is happening also with the wired and the wireless adapter.

0 Kudos