VMware Communities
rrllrrll1122
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware disconnected and reconnects frequently

Title says it all, VMware workstation 12.5 keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting frequently. I am running Linux Mint 18 MATE edition as my host and the same OS on my virtual machine. I have everything updated, can't figure out what the problem is. I really need help because it interrupts some of my projects that I am doing on the virtual machine. Does anyone have a solution?

23 Replies
rrllrrll1122
Contributor
Contributor

Someone please help... No one has a solution for this??

0 Kudos
HuanguoZhong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome to Workstation Community!

I've tried on my Mint18 Mate host(guest: Mint18 Mate), but failed to reproduce.

Is there any special configuration on your host/guest? Which type of network adapter are you using?

If you're using NAT, I think you can change to Bridge to see if it still happens, thanks.

0 Kudos
rrllrrll1122
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the late reply. But yes it is still happening even though I changed it to bridge connection. I was currently using NAT. I am not using any special configuration.

0 Kudos
JSweet16
Contributor
Contributor

I can offer my own report that the frequent network disconnect/reconnect cycling problem with VMware Workstation 12.5 guests is a real problem.

Ubuntu desktops float an information box announcing the network cycling when it happens. Upon disconnect, clicking browser links fails until the network reconnects.

My guests are all using NAT.

My desktop PC running VMware Workstation 12.5 has the following configuration:

Host OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Host CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Host network physical interfaces: 2 integrated with the motherboard; only one interface is presently connected.

$ lspci | grep -i net

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (rev 31)

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

Host motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 with 64GB RAM

My most frequently used Workstation guests are running various flavors of Ubuntu (12.04 32-bit, 14.04 64-bit, 16.04 64-bit). These guests were almost all created under earlier versions of VMware Workstation, but network cycling also happens on an Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS guest created under Workstation 12.5.

Haven't been inconvenienced by noticeable network cycling on my frequently used Windows 7 64-bit guest or my FreeNAS 9.3 (FreeBSD-based) guest. Might be happening there too, but can't confirm yet.

Network cycling didn't happen to me with VMware Workstation 12.1 on the same host when booted on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, so this network issue appears to be new for Workstation 12.5. Web search engines pop up articles about network problems with Windows guests in years past, so perhaps it's a regression in WS 12.5.

0 Kudos
JSweet16
Contributor
Contributor

This network disconnect/reconnect cycling problem remains present in VMware Workstation 12.5.2 build-4638234.

It looks as though all running guest VMs are disconnected and reconnected at the same time.

Sad state of affairs. It really is an obnoxious problem.

0 Kudos
pavrda
Contributor
Contributor

I experience the same problem. Ubuntu LTS 16.04, VMware Player 12.5.2 build-4638234

0 Kudos
kukrapok
Contributor
Contributor

I'm facing the exact same problem for months, since I upgraded to VMWare Workstation 12, then 14. Any new guest Linux (CentOS6/7) or any preexisting guest Linux (CentOS6/7) will constantly disconnect.

Host is CentOS7. Tested guest in bridge or NAT, same issue. Tested host in wireless or wired to the LAN, same issue.

0 Kudos
probj
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting network disconnect issues too; I think it started with 12 and it persists in 14.

I am running Workstation 14 on Windows 7 and use a selection of Linux guests, running Ubuntu, Mint & CentOS to connect through to services on remote servers.

I frequently find that the network stops working and I have to disconnect/reconnect in the guest OS to resume.

I am using a Dell laptop (i7, 16 GB memory) in a dock with a wired LAN connection.

I did read that it might be to do with the VMware network adaptor's sleep settings, but my laptop is running on the Windows maximum performance setting with power saving turned off whilst on mains power.

The laptop has had a clean install of Windows within the past month, so it's not some old setting which has gone astray.

This issue is really interfering with my ability to do my work.

0 Kudos
aldi78
Contributor
Contributor

This issues is still exist in my VMware 14.1.2 build-8497320. My OS in guest is Windows 8.1 Version 6.3 (Build 9600) and host is CentOS 7.5.1804

0 Kudos
bpejman
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMWare Workstation 12.5 running on Linux.  My VMs keep on disconnecting and reconnecting and it's annoying as hell as it causes interruptions in my work!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm using this for work so I need this to be reliable.

VMWare, any update on this?  Any resolution?  Is there an update on VMWare Tools that I can download?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DavidGriffiths
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, may not help anyone on this thread but as this is the main hit I see on Google just thought I'd mention my experience. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 under VMWare Fusion 10.1.5. I was seeing the same problem: my ssh sessions from the Mac into my local VM were constantly freezing. When I logged in natively to Ubuntu I noticed the constant ethernet disconnect/reconnect messages. Seeing the mention above about switching to bridge setting I tried that and it has fixed my problem. Have tried both autodetect and direct to ethernet and both work.

0 Kudos
btpsnunes
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with VMware® Workstation 15 Player, 15.1.0 build-13591040.

My OS is Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64-bit, with Kernel Linux 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64.

This is incredibly distressing and I am seriously considering using other virtualization software for the everyday like.

Any ideas?

Thank you

0 Kudos
alv1234
Contributor
Contributor

It's frustrating encountering this problem and seeing a 4-year-old thread that' still unsolved. Anyway, this problem happens to me as well:

Host: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Guest: Windows 10v1803

VM: VMware® Workstation 15 Player v15.5.6

However with me it only happens when using Wifi on the host. When I'm connected with Ethernet, this does not occur.

0 Kudos
Gabe-MA
Contributor
Contributor

workstation pro 16 running on Pop_OS 21.04, and i'm constantly seeing my windows 10 vm which was freshly installed disconnect and then after a few seconds reconnect.  This is happening when the host is on wifi and using usb ethernet adapter.  

how is this still a problem without a fix in 2021? I might well move back to virtual box once they add TPM if this cannot be resolved

0 Kudos
Kicey
Contributor
Contributor

May be it's related to wifi power management, when the adapter is bridged with the vmnet0 or NAT. The adapter close them when there is no package, you can close the power management with iwconfig, it solves my problem.

0 Kudos
splinter1
Contributor
Contributor

2023 and still an issue. Come on WMware sort it out!

0 Kudos
paul-s
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE 17.0.2 and same thing keeps happening. I'm on a wired connection and the vm keeps disconnecting and reconnecting despite the host not having any network issues. Ubuntu 22.04 host and guest.

0 Kudos
sudeshnas
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

make the vm is running on the latest version of the vmware and compatible drivers

0 Kudos
paul-s
Contributor
Contributor

version:

17.0.2 build-21581411

What drivers do you mean? The Ethernet interface is completely internal to vmware, it's set to NAT.

0 Kudos