VMware Communities
Dimicus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware centralization

Hello.

I am not sure what to ask so im sorry if my question is a bit wierd.

At my office we use workstation 7 to test and troubleshoot different version of our system.

As it is now i have 3 vmware machines

1: Windows 7

2.: Windows 2008

3. Windows 2003

So when i recive  a problem with out product i ask what OS they use and if they use windows 7 i start my windows 7 vmware machine.

My next question is what version of our product they use and dependent what they say i install that version and check if i get the same problem as them.

Now i support 3 different system that each have like 4 different versions and they can all be runned on above OS.

During a normal working day i have to install and uninstall different version of our software several times and i have come to a limit and need to do something about it.

Since im not an expert in vmware i came up with this solution in my head.

One PC with some kind of vmware server that holds all my vmware machines example:

vmware 1: Windows 7 with software version 1

vmware 2: Windows 7 with software version 2

vmware 3: Windows 7 with software version 3

vmware 4: windows 2008 with software version 1

etc

etc

Now from my main PC i want to simply connect to this server and make a copy or a clone of the vmware i want so i get it with the correct version.

We are a small office and i just try to look for a way to make things a little faster for us.

Now to my question.

1. its a whole ocean out there with different vmware product some cost alot of money some are free,

What do i need to accomplish what i have described and is there a free version since i already have several workstation licenses.

2. Can this be managed in a better way then what i have described?

BR

Dimicus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can connect Workstation to an ESXi host but I think there's an easier solution for you: Using "Snapshots" and linked clones.

You could get something like this:

Base Image: Windows 7 configure it as you want without any Software and take a snapshot with a name like "clean"

Install Software version 1 and take a snapshot. > Go to snapshot "clean"

Install Software version 2 and take a snapshot > Go to snapshot "clean"

Install Software version 3 and take a snapshot > Go to snapshot "clean"

Repeat this process for your other OS and that's it Smiley Happy

You should now be able to "Go to" any snapshot you want. Just remember that snapshots will get bigger but as a good practice, every time you finish one of your test "revert" to the corresponding snapshot. Like this.

One user reports a problem using Windows 2003 and software version 2.

You should select your VM with Windows 2003 and open "Snapshot Manager", then, go to the snapshot "software version 2" and run your tests. If you ever need to use "software version 2", "Go to" this snapshot again always ignoring the "you are here" option in order to avoid making your snapshots bigger and bigger.

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can connect Workstation to an ESXi host but I think there's an easier solution for you: Using "Snapshots" and linked clones.

You could get something like this:

Base Image: Windows 7 configure it as you want without any Software and take a snapshot with a name like "clean"

Install Software version 1 and take a snapshot. > Go to snapshot "clean"

Install Software version 2 and take a snapshot > Go to snapshot "clean"

Install Software version 3 and take a snapshot > Go to snapshot "clean"

Repeat this process for your other OS and that's it Smiley Happy

You should now be able to "Go to" any snapshot you want. Just remember that snapshots will get bigger but as a good practice, every time you finish one of your test "revert" to the corresponding snapshot. Like this.

One user reports a problem using Windows 2003 and software version 2.

You should select your VM with Windows 2003 and open "Snapshot Manager", then, go to the snapshot "software version 2" and run your tests. If you ever need to use "software version 2", "Go to" this snapshot again always ignoring the "you are here" option in order to avoid making your snapshots bigger and bigger.

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Dimicus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot is one of the possible solution i was thinking on but then i encounter the latest uppdate issue and so on. And will have to update the vmware all the time. I suppose for what we have now that is the easiest way.

I will check the ESXi host aswell, thank you very much for that advice.

BR

Dimicus

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi again,

Sorry I ask, what issue? You should be able to work with snapshots and upgrade your VMware Workstation without any problems.

Regards,

elgreco81

0 Kudos
Dimicus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what i meant is that with snapshot i will not have them automaticly updated with windows patches and so on Smiley Happy 

i think?

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

oh! Yes, you are absolutly right! Smiley Happy

Best regards,

elgreco81

0 Kudos