VMware Communities
cpvmw
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation Pro 15.5 says install will complete after reboot, but nothing happens

Vmware Workstation Pro 15.5 says install will complete after reboot, but nothing happens.

You can try the install again and it does the same thing.

9 Replies
tramp20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same here.

It seems VMWare wants to install Microsoft VC 2019 (?) but this does not complete and this VC can not be uninstalled 😞

I had to restore an Win 10 image (Acronis) to get out out of this bug.

Win 10 18362.10019 19H2

0 Kudos
LDVeal
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to manually install the latest available Visual C++ redistributable for 2015, 2017, and 2019, restart, re-run the 15.5 update and complete it.

The redistributable is available here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Cyberphone
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on Win 10 18362.356

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

See this blog post from Colin for a solution:

https://www.vgemba.net/vmware/Workstation-15.5-Install-Error/

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Both the VMware Workstation and VMware Tools Windows versions now rely on VC runtime 2015-2019 and both install and update if required.

If any of the runtime DLLs need upgrading and are in use because the application using thein is not stopping to allow them to be replaced then a system reboot is required.

The system reboot is supposed to allow the completion of the upgrade of the VC runtime DLLs.

For some reason occasionally this does not seem to work or needs repeated attempts.

When this type of issue occurs, it is can be addressed by downloading and upgrading the VC runtime packages manually and separately from the Workstation install/upgrade.

As mentioned, you can go here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

and download the latest versions. Run and apply the upgrades, reboot as required. Then restart the Workstation install/upgrade.

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
DJSevene
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@LDVeal,

I had the same issue, this quickly solved it for me.  Appreciated.

Storage Technologist Dell EMC - Representing Myself Only
0 Kudos
joescat
Contributor
Contributor

+1 .

I JUST purchased VMWare Workstation Pro (v15 was the offered download). Upon launch, it checked, found and offered v15.5. The rest is like OP indicated . . . . prompted to complete upon restart, nothing happened after restart. I was caught in a loop - trying to run VMWare Workstation Pro wanted up update - or just bombed with an error message regarding restarting - but paying close attention to the entire message this time I noticed a VMWare Kb article referenced (I'll find that later in my history maybe), but he take-away was visit Microsoft Downloads and get Visual C++ Redistributable 2015-2019.

Trying to install that, I encountered an error that hinted an install was in progress, and a restart was required. So restarted host system, and proceeded immediately to installing C++ Redist. which installed successfully. Now checking for updates in VMWare Workstation Pro found and succeeded updating to v15.5.0 build 14665864

Edit: Link to VMWare Kb article cited in the "error" message I saw (refers to older version, but content is applicable):

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
bnewall
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I ran into the same thing!  Or thought I did... when I launched VMware Workstation 15, it wanted me to update to 15.5.  In the process, it said I would need to restart to install the Visual C++ Redistributable.  I restarted, launched VMware Workstation again, it asked to update to 15.5, said I would need to restart to install Visual C++ Redistributable.  I restarted, launched VMware Workstation yet again, it asked to update to 15.5, and this time, it proceeded through the installation.

I think maybe I know why:  I didn't look that closely at the messages about the Visual C++ Redistributable, but after looking at a couple of the articles quoted below, it occurred to me that perhaps one reboot was for the 32-bit version, and one was for the 64-bit.  Both versions were listed in Control Panel --> Programs and Features.  So I guess it installed 32-bit, rebooted, installed 64-bit, rebooted again, THEN actually installed the VMware Workstation 15.5 update.

Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone else, but that's what I encountered.

0 Kudos
Micjpd450
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information.

I finally succeed to update to Workstation Pro 15.5 after updated to Visual C++ redistributable for 2015, 2017, and 2019.

0 Kudos