VMware Communities
wassup2190
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation Pro 12 Crashing On Windows 10

Hello,

I have been running vmware workstation pro for a while now on my Dell XPS laptop running WIndows 10. Everything was working fine untill last night, when all of a suddent vmware started crashing instantly when Im try to load one of my virtual machines, showing the attched message. This is strange, everything was working fine up until last night. Also attched is the error log for vmware.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling vmware three times, but to no avail. I have also tried editing the settings of my virtual machines, it still crashes.

What can I do?

Thank you very much.

16 Replies
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the posting!

Would you please provide vm-support package to us for further investigation?

0 Kudos
wassup2190
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. How do I do that? I am running vmware workstation 12 on Windows 10. Thanks.

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may collect the vm-support package from WS menu -> Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data, on the window please check the VMs you're running and click Collect... button. Thanks!

0 Kudos
wassup2190
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, here it is. I can't even start a virtual machine, it crashes a few seconds after I open it with the above message. What can I do?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Zongmin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for uploading the data! There might be a conflict between Workstation and installed antivirus/antispy/firewall software. If you have aforementioned software installed, would you please try to:

1. disable/uninstall those antivirus/antispy/firewall and then try to power on VM?
  2. if power on VM still crashes Workstation, try to re-install workstation with full-permission Administrator, then retry
0 Kudos
wassup2190
Contributor
Contributor

I disabled all my antivirus, reinstalled workstation, and the same thing still happens....

Thx.

0 Kudos
wassup2190
Contributor
Contributor

And yes I ran the installer as admin.

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks a lot for collecting vm-support!

Uploaded MSinfo file shows workstation had a hang at 7:18 PM on 4/22/2016. And before that, we found some errors in application/system event logs, like “Unable to bind to the underlying transport for [::]:2864. The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may not exist on this machine..” and several “Windows error reporting” events which seem to be related to Windows defender – “Fault bucket 126096497626, type 5 Event Name: AVSubmit …Attached files: \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\LocalCopy\....”. Also It looks like SpyHunter4, Akamai Netsession, lava-soft ad-aware are installed on your laptop, which probably interferes with Workstation using local socket to work. We are also wondering if you had these software upgraded recently and if you had your Windows 10 OS updated lately. And please follow the steps below to help us find out the root cause:

1.Uninstall SpyHunter4, Akamai Netsession, Lava-soft ad-aware and any other anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, network sniffer/monitor/firewall/filter software

2.Disable Windows firewall and Windows defender

3.Reboot

4.Uninstall Workstation as Administrator

5.Reboot

6.Re-install Workstation as Administrator

7.Reboot

8.Start Workstation and launch the VM

9.Collect and upload vm-support package again if workstation still crashes.

Thank you very much for your support!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been having a similar issue on VMware Workstation Pro 12 running on Windows 10... current suggestions have not worked.

Today after adding my VMware Folders to the Windows Defender Folder Exclusion List my Virtual Machine lasted all day today (9+ hours) without a problem.

In my case I added folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation
  • H:\Virtual Machines

I think the first one is the key, but I had both in today.

Could others having this issue please give this a try and respond with your results.

0 Kudos
wvrobles
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experience a similar issue with VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.1 and Windows 10, I already checked and defender is disabled on my Windows 10, but I'm using bitdefender as Antivirus and firewall, I just added suggested folders by Neverlyn plus c:\program files (x86)\common files\vmware, in case of someone else could make a try on this workaround.

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, does the workaround suggested by Neverlyn fix your issue? thanks!

0 Kudos
wvrobles
Contributor
Contributor

No. it didn't work for me, after performed the changes suggested plus the one I added in my previous post I rebooted my host machine and started to use one of my VM and after around to hours the same error appear again and the VMware Workstation Pro close again, I was researching a little bit on different forums about this error and other errors I'm been saw on event viewer, and seems that the problem is related to a combination of Network driver improvement made at Windows 10 side, plus Video Driver bug appear on February for NVidia GTX Video cards at least it is seems to be true for me, one other problem that I was experience is that when I startup my machine connected to my docking station (displaylink), it use to freeze up, when I had VM Workstation installed on it, no matter if it was running on not, actually I just need to set the service "VMware Authorization Service" to manual startup and the issue disappear, but the error in VMWare still appear at some point when I started up the GUI for VM Workstation Pro, in a forum of NVidia or Asus, I can't remember I read something about driver releases for video cards that has been freezing machines after perform the update, and the hard time some users experience to rolled back to previous one, but guess what, seem that the problem appear in the drivers for W10, so due to all the problems I have been experience, I made the decision to rolled back my own machine and reinstall Windows 8.1 as OS, I did it a week ago, and so far so good, the error in vmware don't longer appear, and I been using my VM a lot, due and running more than one at time, for hours or days, without issues or errors, and my machines has not experience any other of previous described issues, just the obvious issue of Windows 8.1 a really slow startup if already experience W10 startup.

So unfortunately at this moment doesn't seem to be a fix or solution for this annoying issue, and not a clear root cause of the issue, so I prefer to reinstall my OS and rolled back Windows 8.1, at some point when a new Windows 10 version will be released or new version VMWare Workstation, or Video driver, I could give it a try, but I going to stay on Windows 8.1 for the next couple of months or until someone identify the root cause of this issue.  

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you very much for your detailed information. We will continue to investigate this issue.

0 Kudos
IainCl
Contributor
Contributor

I am having similar problems with Dell XPS but with Workstation 11 pro. Everything was working fine and then I booted on Tuesday morning and now no VM's will launch.

Ref: VMWare unrecoverable error DoubleFault src=MONITOR @...

0 Kudos
IainCl
Contributor
Contributor

Turned bitdefender off via group policy to no effect.

Update of NIVIDIA Geforce drivers today has solved the problem in my case.

0 Kudos
sidneyrees
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar issue, the virtual worked fine for more than 15 days, today it wasn't working. In my case, running VMWare as administrator solved the issue (which is odd because I haven't changed my settings)

0 Kudos