VMware Communities
StixForBrains
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation - Intermittent two-mouse-pointer problem

When working in a guest OS (win 7) in full screen mode, a host OS mouse pointer will also appear, a couple inches away from the guest mouse pointer. This happens by itself without me hitting cntrl-alt. The motion of the second pointer mirrors the guest pointer. Any clicks that I make of my mouse will be delivered to both pointers. This means that I am often inadvertently clicking the full-screen toolbar, with potentially hazardous effects.

This problem started several months ago while I was using workstation 7. I uninstalled vmtools from my guests and re-installed. I have since upgraded to workstation 8 and upgraded my tools and problem has not gone away.

The problem gets progressively worse. I can get some relief if I hit cntrl-alt then click on the toolbar and then back inside the guest to reiner the guest session. When the problem gets bad I can't hover my mouse anywhere in the entire top 3rd of my screen without the the second mouse pointer appearing and prompting the toolbar to appear.

My setup is an HP elitebook. Host is win7, my two guests are win 7. This problem does not occur when I just work on the laptop screen. But does occur whenever I am docked to my dual screen set-up. The problem is worse in one guest than the the other. The probelm is about the same regardless of whether I use a single full screen or whether I cycle to let my guest span two screens.

I haven't always had this problem. For several months my Workstation steup worked perfectly. I' haven't been able to identify what changed if anything. My tool bar previously only appeared with a responably long "hover" at the very top limit of my screen and it used to take the focus of my mouse, leaving the guest inactive as would hope. I was never really aware of  a second mouse pointer. But now I have two mouse pointers consistently and the toolbar appears with very little provocation. If I need to mouse anywhere near the top of the screen I have to do so very quickly to avoid provoking the toolbar to appear and the second mouse pointer to activate.

I found one older thread from 2009 that discribes my problem exactly before workstation was fully Win 7 compatible, but changing the dpi scaling as per the sugestions has had little effect on my problem.

That thread was at

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1341565

Thanks in advance for any ideas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
promgmt
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue.  It just started one day, not after a VM WS upgrade either.  It is very annoying.  ANy help would be greatly appreciated.  This is coupled with my dual monitor problem where the mouse would not move to the right monitor and would only stay in the left (main) monitor.  So I played with the "Optimize mouse for Games" setting up preferences and that got my mouse to move to the other monitor but still with intermittent issues with the two mouse pointer problem.

0 Kudos
promsi
Contributor
Contributor

No response from VMWare???  This is VERY annoying.  I can't belive the two of us are the only ones haveing the problem.  It could have started after a Windows update, but not exactly sure.  Need help ASAP - this is driving me insane.

0 Kudos
dhworth
Contributor
Contributor

You are not the only one, myself and fellow developer are having this issue as well using VMWare Workstation 8, hope to hear a response for fixing this!

0 Kudos