VMware Communities
Coridus
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation 8 Setup Script Error?

I have tried over and over again to try vmware workstation 8 and i consistantly get this problem:
Untitled.png

I had VmWare Workstation 7.1.4 working fine but when I uninstalled that and tried to install 8 it always does this. I have cleaned out the TEMP folder at least 30 times now and I still cant get it to work. I have tried using the temp files with UNIextract and I try to use the MSI that came out of that and that fails with an error that says:

Untitled1.png

I can run the vmware executable with out "installing" it in the folder but it wont recognize my key so its useless.

I have tried downloading the Workstation 8 setup file from several different sources. The main server, Rapidshare, bittorrent and many other sites hoping that I could find at least one working setup file and they all fail with the exact same message. Each time after I install or uninstall I restart the computer like it says to so thats not the problem. I am able to reinstall vmware workstation 7.1.4 without a problem, I would just like to upgrade to 8 so I can install the windows 8 preview. I would love it if someone can help me solve this frustrating problem.

EDIT:

I have also tried these two sites but to no avail:

http://www.leonardomartinez.com/vmware-workstation-install-on-windows

http://craigrandall.net/archives/2009/11/vmware-wrkstn-7-to-install/

And I attached 3 setup logs below.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcom to the Community,

a few days ago I had a discussion with another user who had the same issue. The solution was to run an administrative installation as described in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws80-getting-started.pdf (page 18). After extracting the files (step 3) the command for the installation in step 4 used was

setup.exe /s /v "ADDLOCAL=ALL /qn"

André

0 Kudos
Coridus
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much that fixed it!

0 Kudos
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried this but with no luck. The app just wont install in silent mode. Doesnt create a folder in the Program files folder or anything.

I have 64 bit Win 7. Checked Registry for spourios character in the Internet zones area, dont have it.

Their has to be a fix for this. I had the same issue with all workstation 7 releases, at leasty the extract work-araound worked for that version, this is mad!

Any help is much appriciated. Here is the cmd line I was using to try silent install :

setup.exe /s /v "[INSTALLDIR=""C:\Program Files (x86)\VMWare\VMWare Workstation 8""] ADDLOCAL=ALL /qn

also tried :

setup.exe /s /v "ADDLOCAL=ALL /qn"

Edit:

So it seems the silent install is actually kicking off but the install is encountering another error:

vmwarevmcisockets64.msi error 1603

This aborts the install.

See logs attached

Message was edited by: DaROC

0 Kudos
dmerrill1
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having the same issue and have WIndows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit.

I finally solved the issue by installing Workstation 7.1.5 using the workaround install

VMware-workstation-full-7.1.5.exe /s /v "ADDLOCAL=ALL /qn"

Once the reboot occured and I launched Workstation 7 to confirm it was complete, I ran the Workstation 8 install using the same workaround install process

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.1.exe /s /v "ADDLOCAL=ALL /qn"

This uninstalled Workstation 7, rebooted my computer and installed Workstation 8 successfully.

I know it does not solve the underlying issue with the Workstation 8 install on Windows 7 64-bit, but does allow you to get to a successful Workstation 8 installation.

Cheers, O'Brien

0 Kudos
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor

I solved this issue:

Its to do with the enviornmental variables set up in windows 7.

Open control panel -> system -> advanced system settings

On the advanced tab - > select enviornmental variables

Copy what is listed for "TEMP" and "TMP" to notepad for changing back after installation

Change the entries for "TEMP" and "TMP" to "C:\Temp"

Run Workstaion 8 install as normal without any switches

Change back variables after install.

I just cant believe I had to figure it out myself, opened a support ticket and they couldnt figure it out at all.

Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos