VMware Communities
nits4u
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Workstation 6.5 - Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine

My host is a Intel Core i5 (VT enabled) and 8GB RAM running 64-bit Windows 7 with hardware virtualization turned on.

Apart from McAfee Antivirus and the usual Windows Updates, no other software has been installed on the host machine.

I am running Vmware Workstation 6.5 and I have setup 3 VM's with below guest OS's, s/w and memory:

Vmware ESX 4 - 2GB
Server 2003 (DC and DNS) - 1GB

Server 2003 (vCenter Server) - 1 GB

However, it is not possible for me to run all 3 VMS simultaneously. If i turn on Vmware ESX 4 and try to start any of the windows 2003 VM, it display the below message:

Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings.

To fix this problem, adjust the additional memory settings to allow more virtual machine memory to be swapped.

If  you were able to power on this virtual machine on this host computer in  the past, try rebooting the host computer. Rebooting may allow you to  use slightly more host memory to run virtual machines.

Can someone please let me know where are the rest of memory is being occupied? Total memory size of 3 VMs are only 4 GB and i must be able to run all 3 VMs together but in this case i can't even run two VMs simultaneously.

Please help what should I do??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With 8GB RAM on the Host why are you only allowing 1 GB to be reserved for all running virtual machines?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't remember if it was the same menu in VMware Workstation 6.5, however in VMware Workstation 7 you can configure the host memory usage in "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Memory".

André

0 Kudos
nits4u
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have attached the screenshots for my current settings. I decreased the RAM for windows 2003 VM and tried to start but still no luck. Please suggest

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With 8GB RAM on the Host why are you only allowing 1 GB to be reserved for all running virtual machines?

0 Kudos
nits4u
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you are right, i increased the reserved RAM and could start all VMs. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos