VMware Communities
colincci
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation 17 Multiple Monitors

I just upgraded to Workstation Pro 17 for Linux from the latest 16.  After the upgrade things seemed to be working fine.  I run several Windows 10 VM's which use 4 monitors full screen.  This was working until I upgraded the VMware-Tools to the included version 12.  This completely broke multi monitor support.

I was able to get it working again by downgrading the VMware-Tools to version 11.3.5.

Is this a known problem?  What version of the NVidia drivers are required?  I am currently using 515.65.01.

29 Replies
Dave35
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The service is in the Windows guest and is installed by VMware Tools.  Just go to Computer Management, disable the service, and reboot the guest.  Stopping the service might be enough, but I have always rebooted after disabling.  I know this fix works for a friend too.  However, we are both running Windows hosts, and person who started the thread is running a Windows guest on a Linux host, so I am not sure if this will work on a Linux host.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 093957.png

darkdarkdark
Contributor
Contributor

No need to reboot after disabling service - it works straight after disabling.

0 Kudos
Dave35
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not sure what the VMware SVGA Helper Service even does.  The service description only states "Helps VMware SVGA driver by collecting and conveying user mode information."  Everything seems fine with the service disabled.

Here is an article that lists it as the 3rd suggestion out of five to try when having multiple monitor issues:

1. Switch the color scheme of VMware
  2. Install VMware Tools
  3. Disable VMware SVGA Helper Service
  4. Reposition the secondary monitor
  5. Switch to an older version of VMware Workstation Pro

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/vmware-workstation-does-not-support-the-multiple-monitors-feature-in-...

tacit_panda
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so incredibly angry that this actually worked lol. Like, of all things that could solve this problem...

0 Kudos
brittonv
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this annoying solution works on workstation pro  17.0.2/.  Additionally on the VM it self disabling "Accelerate 3D Graphics" on the VM itself worked.  

I am thoroughly disappointed in VMWare that this problem could be left to exist for so long.  If I wanted this many headaches I'd use Hyper-V

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Just a thought here... if you are able to try the Workstation Tech Preview and the issue still exists there, then give feedback in the Tech Preview forum - it may get more visibility, since that version is definitely under current development.

0 Kudos
_Phobos_
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe you forgot to stop the VMware SVGA helper service?

I'm just saying, for many this will be obvious. But since I also temporarily made this mistake for like 10 seconds. I can imagine that in some cases it might be overseen although it is mentioned in more posts.

Disabling this service (prevent it from automatically restarting.) is not enough. (Unless you restart your guest maybe.) You must also stop it manually. When the service is still running it will not have the positive effect on expanding to multiple monitors!

Can anyone tell me what are the cons of disabling this service? Which functionalities may drop?

0 Kudos
tacit_panda
Contributor
Contributor

Believe it or not it had nothing to do with any of that.

there is an option to take on the system settings of either light or dark mode. I had it set to inherit those settings which broke multiple monitor support. When I unchecked that and just chose dark mode it worked just fine.

0 Kudos
colincci
Contributor
Contributor

For those running multiple monitors for Windows guests on a Linux host I have a tip which has significantly improved the stability of my multiple monitor configurations.

I have found that DPMS screen blanking at the Linux level can really cause issues.  I had all screen blanking and saving settings turned off in the graphics settings, but when I disabled DPMS from the command line this resulted in a significant improvement in stability.  I now running the following commands in a script on login.

xset s noexpose
xset s noblank
xset s off
xset dpms 0 0 0

You can check the status at any time with 

xset q

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
AWL_IT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

There is a new version available, 17.0.5. Does anyone seen their monitor/screen issues resolved?

There is nothing related in the release notes, thats why i am asking.

Kind Regards,
Mark

0 Kudos