VMware Communities
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation 16

Does anybody know any of the details of this software?

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What exactly is it that you are thinking of, or looking for?

VMware just released v15.5, so I don't actually expect a new version within the next few months.

André

0 Kudos
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for better way to manage my cluster and host and each of the settings inside of vsphere.     

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then why use Workstation at all? Just use the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor

It would also be nice if you could launch applications that are installed on the vm and runs things in the background sorta how parallels handles the applications.

Also if you copy a VM is possible for it to do de-dupe on the file structure level?    

DaveTheWaveSlav
Contributor
Contributor

I'd be happy to chime in on that question:  -->>  MODERN GPU HARDWARE SUPPORT <<--

I'm an ex-happy Workstation user who stopped upgrading a few versions ago due to lack of improvements that targeted the features I needed.  I recently left Vmware all together for a KVM environment, but it has it's own problems.  I'd like to come back to Vmware but until Workstation gets the features I need it's just not worth it.

Who am I?  I'm an independent software developer who was really happy with Workstation a few years ago because it allowed me to build, test & deploy apps into isolated test environments with minimal hardware requirements.  I was a pretty good salesman for Workstation, pitching it to all my friends & colleagues.

Why am I no longer happy with Workstation?  Lack of modern GPU support.  Due to this lack of reasonable, basic hardware support by today's standards, I was stuck in a multi-boot world due to the projects I'm working on that require more than basic 'DX8' GPU support.  It made booting back into the Workstation environment pretty pointless.  So I dumped it and moved on to a KVM host / windows GPU pass-through guest world.

I keep checking to see if Vmware is ever going to update Workstation and add this feature I need.  When IOMMU virtualization was added I got excited and downloaded an evaluation copy but was pretty disappointed when I realized it did basically nothing, at least for my needs.  Yes an important building-block to GPU virtualization, but just not there yet.  Disappointed, I restored from backup and started looking for other solutions.  Which took me to KVM.

Now, as a Windows user living in a linux KVM world, it has it own problems.  I'm not exactly happy with it.  I'd jump back to Workstation in a second if it were to add decent modern GPU support into the product.  Yes, it's a hard feature, rife with hardware, software & legal (cough GRiD cough) loopholes.  But until Workstation gets this feature to be honest it doesn't really deserve to be called 'Workstation' any more.  Sorry if that's a little harsh, but there it is.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

See VMware Workstation Tech Preview 20H1 now available

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos