VMware Communities
_Cyb0rG
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation 15.5.6 cannot Load Library Dependencies on Host Ubuntu 20.04 , Kernel 5.4.0-42-generic

So I've been facing this issue since I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04. The GUI doesn't open up. When I try to open it up from its path '/usr/bin/vmware' , I get ,

```sh

[AppLoader] Cannot get library dependencies. (9c)

[AppLoader] Fallback to use all shipped libraries.

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: undefined symbol: clock_gettime, version GLIBC_2.2.5```

At times, vmware does open up , and when I try to open any of my VMs , it just gets stuck on `Trying to establish connection`, which forces me to kill the process manually. Even after killing the process, when I try to reboot , I get into a kernel panic due to vmware's root processes still running.

Finally , I removed all my saved VMs and tried reinstalling vmware ,and it worked until I closed it and after that , the same issue persists.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thank you so much

Warm Regards

A student who is in desperate need of using a saved VM in vmware

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Only Workstation 15.5.5 (which had a couple of bugs) and 15.5.6 are supported on Ubuntu 20.04

If not using 15.5.6, you may wish to install that version as a first step.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
_Cyb0rG
Contributor
Contributor

Sir , I have mentioned exclusively that the bug occurs in 15.5.6 workstation pro itself

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Apologies, I read the body of your thread but not the title.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos