VMware Communities
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware Workstation 12 Pro - Mouse Stops Working

I have VMware Workstation 12 Pro.  I've been using it for weeks without a problem.  Suddenly the mouse will stop working in VM.  This happens while the guest is booted and running.  I click to another window and click back, and the mouse will not work in the guest.  This happens in all guests regardless of operating system.  The only way to resolve this is to reboot the host.  Then I can use the guests again for about 15-20 minutes before the problem happens again.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This issue has been resolved.  Once I realized the problem was related to all audio, I was able to narrow the search down to VMware Workstation, audio, and mouse click.

Here the other article on here that describes the problem.

VMWare Mouse Click Problem

I updated my Lenovo laptop Realtek drivers (from Lenovo) to version 6.0.1.7576.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now a reboot doesn't solve the problem.

The software doesn't work at all. Can't use any mouse in any guest.

0 Kudos
Slomint
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.  Here is what I have found.

On my setup I run ESXI and have some VM's on my local machine.

My VM's on my local machine always work.  When I have a VM loaded up that is running on my ESXI server while I am running a local VM, the Mouse won't work on the ESXI VM.  I can get the keyboard working with some work.  If I close the local VM then the mouse and keyboard work just fine on ESXI.

Workstation 12 works with ESXI when not running any local VM's

workstation 12 mouse does not work with ESXI while running local VM's

workstation 12 always works with local VM's

Any Ideas for a Fix?

0 Kudos
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I completely uninstalled VMware Workstation 12 Pro and reinstalled.  Now the keyboard doesn't work either.

However, if it power off and power back on not connected to any external monitors and keyboards, the laptop's mouse and keyboard seem to work.

This used to work perfectly with all external peripherals connected.  An uninstall/reinstall shouldn't make the problem worse.  The application is unusable now if peripherals are connected.  If this problem can't be fixed, I'll have to use a different virtual program.

0 Kudos
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem is caused by one of these two updates.  I uninstalled them and was able to use VMware Workstation 12 Pro until Windows 10 automatically downloaded them again.

KB3135782

KB3135174

I hope VMware engineers see this thread and fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Uninstalling the updates worked for about an hour.  Then I found update KB3119142 reinstalling continually.  I fixed this by following this article.

Repeated install of KB3119142 - Microsoft Community

After a few reboots, things worked for a few hours.  Now I'm back to the original issue of no mouse clicks working.

0 Kudos
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe I've narrowed down the problem but cannot resolve it.

Mouse clicks in VMware Workstation work until I play a video.  A video in Chrome, Firefox, IE.  Or streaming audio in any browser.  Or a video in VLC.  As soon as I start playing something, clicking stops working.  If I stop the video, streaming, etc, clicking starts working. 

0 Kudos
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem is definitely related to audio.  I can't click the mouse in the VMware Workstation guests if any sound is playing including iTunes.  Just audio, no video.

I've tried enabling "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" on the VMware Workstation executable.

I've tried several settings in VMware Workstation and on the specific VM, but the problem exists on ALL guest systems.  I've set the input grab priority to high.

No solution so far. 

0 Kudos
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This issue has been resolved.  Once I realized the problem was related to all audio, I was able to narrow the search down to VMware Workstation, audio, and mouse click.

Here the other article on here that describes the problem.

VMWare Mouse Click Problem

I updated my Lenovo laptop Realtek drivers (from Lenovo) to version 6.0.1.7576.

0 Kudos
RobHeijmans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

​I have the same problem as Slomint

​Do anyone have found a solution? Reinstall VMWare won't work.

​Do anyone have Trendmicro as firewall/antivirus?

​Kind regards,

​Rob

0 Kudos
martiniturbide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.

I think I'm experiencing the same issues on VMWare Workstation 14 Pro on a Thinkpad with Realtek HD Audio.

The issue is that Windows Server 2008 looses the mouse, it is still recognized, it does "on focus" with the mouse, but it does not click.

On a old Windows XP guest VM it has a different issue, it make Windows XP guest very slow even with the VMWare Tools updated to the latest ones.

I had disabled the "Realtek HD Audio" driver from the host, rebooted and the next boot the guest works without problems, but the host and guest will have no audio.

If there is any more information of a real fix for this issues please let me know.

Regards

0 Kudos